Chapter Twenty-One: Friday Is Forever

When I woke up, I couldn’t believe it was already 12:00 in the afternoon. I contemplated staying in bed longer but then suddenly jumped to my feet thinking “We the Kings! We the Kings!” I had to get to the set of the video and interview them. I threw a pair of skinny jeans on and found my purple shirt from the “Take Action Tour” which had “We the Kings” on the front.

          I stumbled to the bathroom and checked myself in the mirror. My hair was tangled and in a big frizz-ball. I ran a detangling spray through it and used a wide tooth comb to get the tangles out. I tied it up into a messy bun and put on a thin, plastic black headband on my head. I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I dabbed some tinted moisturizer on along with mascara and lip gloss. 

          I grabbed my bag and Sidekick and ran down the stairs. No one else was home-Mom was at work and Caroline had probably gone to her friend’s. I opened the fridge frantically and grabbed an IZZE drink. I popped open the top and took a long gulp. There was no time for food.

          I scrambled out the door and into the car. I started it up and looked to make sure I had the directions Stacy had given me along with my interview questions. I had to run back into the house to get the video camera that was charging in my room and then I was off.

          The music video was supposed to be filmed in various streets of Los Angeles that all connected to each other in some way.

          I got to the location barely on time (it was 12:55, I was supposed to be there at 1:00) and ran out of my car.

          Almost immediately, I was greeted by a lady shorter then my 5’7 frame who was holding a clip board. Her dark hair was straight and fell just above her shoulders. She had a few colorful feather extensions poking out.

          “Hi, you must be Hayley, right?” she asks me as I close the car door.

          “Yes, that’s me.”

          “Nice to meet you, I’m Veronica,” we shook hands. “I’ll show you around today and you’ll be able to get the interview and any other footage you need,” she glances at the camera Stacy gave me.

          “Come with me, I’ll show you where everything is,” Veronica motioned me over.

          There were people everywhere carrying all sorts of things-from camera equipment to platters of food. A group of girls in brightly colored bikinis were standing together, giggling. “That’s what we call the ‘crafty’,” she pointed to a cart loaded with food. “It’s just a fancy name for where the food goes. Feel free to help yourself.”

          “This is the director, Paul,” she introduced me to a middle-aged man wearing an orange shirt and Ray Bans.

          “Nice to meet you,” I said.

          “Over here we just have all the cameras and monitors-you won’t have to worry too much about that.”

          We walked around the corner. “The press just lines up over there,” she pointed to a crowd of people from various magazines, record labels and who-knows-what.

          She checked her watch. “We’ll keep shooting until one. Once we’re done, you can do your interview, just make sure you snag the guys before any of these other morons do,” she whispered in my ear. “You can videotape if you like. Feel free to walk around the set, just make sure you don’t cross the green tape,” she pointed to the green tape marked carefully on the ground. “Or else you’ll get in the shot and we’ll have to kick you out.”