Chapter Twenty

DeLacy walked along the side walk beside Lauren. Hands in her pockets. She was rather silent not saying anything. Lauren glanced at DeLacy as she walked in complete silence.

"Thank you", whispered Lauren.

DeLacy smirked, "I've heard that word too much. I don't want to be thanked", said DeLacy looking up at the darkening sky. The sun was setting over the horizon.

"Oh......sorry", said Lauren.

"I don't want an apology either Sergeant", said DeLacy.

"Sor-", Lauren stopped herself and DeLacy shook her head taking a drag.

"It's alright, you didn't know. All I want is that. Nothing more. No favors. No special treatment. I don't want it. Not from a woman like you", said DeLacy stopping at the side walk leading towards Lauren's small living area next to the mail box. It was much smaller than DeLacy's and she smiled liking it. But she sighed looking at Lauren.

"Good night", she said turning on her heel and walked away.

"Good night", said Lauren. DeLacy gave an aloof wave and walked back.

She lifted her head stopping for a moment looking at the sky. "This place hasn't changed a bit", she muttered.

DeLacy sighed veering off to a small path walking down towards a man made pond. She stood there at the edge watching the sun slowly disappear. She was still alive. She was thankful for it.

DeLacy turned her head hearing footsteps in the grained path staring. She turned her gaze back to the water seeing Anderson. He stared at her in silence. The breeze blowing her strands free for a moment. He swallowed staring as she stood their silently. The smoke rising up and her brown eyes reflected the setting sun.

"DeLacy", said Anderson. "I'm sorry-"

"I'm not", interrupted DeLacy not looking at Anderson. His jaw stiffened.

DeLacy sighed casting down her eyes muttering and took her cigarette in her fingers, "And another man joins to make the twilight love triangle. Fantastic", she huffed. She laughed at herself, "Now I have this to put on my mind".

DeLacy then tossed her pack of cigarettes to him. "They may not be nicotine, but it's better for you anyways. It'll help you think", she said walking past Anderson.

He held them but turned grabbing her arm. DeLacy frowned, "I've done enough thinking these past years I've known you", said Anderson.

"Yes, tsch! You've done a lot of thinking. But that was when you knew me. Not when I knew who you truly were", said DeLacy pulling out her arm walking forward.

"Even after all the years you've known me you still don't respect my ideals because you disagree with them. The world isn't twisted because we have guns and grenades Anderson. The world is twisted because we don't respect one another for who we are and for what we desire", I said.

"Then get to know me now", said Anderson.

DeLacy looked back shaking her head, "I'd prefer the image that I had before the one I know now", said DeLacy.

Anderson slammed his arm around DeLacy's waist surprising her making her stumble. He turned rotating his back slamming into the grass. DeLacy groan pushing herself up annoyed. But Anderson pushed the back of her head forward and he raised his head kissing her.

DeLacy pushed off but he snatched her wrists with his large hand holding her firmly. "Anderson stop-" Anderson muffled DeLacy his fingers curling harder in the back of her head and he felt her strands. His lips moving against her's in a rhythmic fashion.