Chapter Twenty Three

The woman sighed, "You aren't the first to ask so yes I do know what goes on at Loyalty...", she paused glaring at Superior, "However, I intend to keep a better eye on it", she muttered.

"So you know what they put us through....the random runs....the room....the obstacle course....the snipers when we get out of jail", said Jackson explaining as if further clarification was needed.

"I know....I was the one who designed the rehabilitation process. The first steps of assessment....it is also a punishment trial for those who do not have a care, making men such as yourself... reconsider your options and rethink your outlook on life", said DeLacy.

Jackson flinched his eyes hardened. "So you were the one who came up with the whole training course?", asked Jackson.

"In regards to your rehabilitation in order to be reintegrated into society. You are veterans of the military, most are hardened and deep down you have a desire to be in action again. To do something physical. So I simply obliged. As well its a good and honest assessment of how an individual such as yourself can cope under high amounts of stress and allows the doctors and specialists to fully focus on a specific rehabilitation plan for you personally", said DeLacy.

"With all due respect I think your out of line", said Jackson.

"And you weren't when you decided to dose up and with hold illegal drugs? Sir, I'm afraid you are just as guilty as I am. The law is just....not attuned to actually being effective. Locking people up who deserve a second chance and need aid. Tsch! A cell should be used to keep in a serial killer not a former service member who was filled with fear", said DeLacy.

She sighed, "But if what I do now is a crime to you, then you have barely scared my records".

Jackson raised his eyebrows. The woman looked at Jackson. "You are all former criminals....and your sitting on a plane with a multi-billionaire", said DeLacy.  She stared at Jackson with seriousness, "You don't get to become as rich as I am without breaking any laws. It's impossible", she said.

Jackson swallowed. Had he heard her correctly?

DeLacy huffed as her phone buzzed again twice in her pocket. She took it out. Her face grew grim.She stood. "One moment", she said excusing herself to the back of the plane.

DeLacy stood back facing everyone as she unlocked her phone typing in the formal numbers. She slid her thumb across opening her inbox of emails. One unread message. It was untitled. But DeLacy knew full well what it was. After nine years she had practically memorized what it said by heart. She tapped it.

The email popped open with the usual heading, 'congratulations you have been entered in The Game'
The composers and sponsors hadn't even gotten the grammar right. This was just great. Who were the sponsors this year? Keith industries....a fertilizer company.

"Tsch! They get worse every year", she muttered under her breath scrolling down and read carefully. Though there were no rules as to how the game was to be executed during play, there were still rules regarding safe zones, and truces. No telling if the sponsor decided to put up a new one that was unheard of .

However, that would most likely not be the case this year since, DeLacy could tell that the sponsors had not in the slightest notion as to what was going on meaning that they were new to this. Utterly new. Which lead to the high possibility of them already having been disqualified. In other words their representative was already dead.

DeLacy pressed on the link to the app and waited as it began to download. Here it would allow her to track and monitor the progress of The Game. Yet she was primarily first concerned with her own pool. The top pool. She was Player Number One. This made her a very valuable asset to those who built a truce with her, but it also meant she was high on the kill list for the other players in her pool. Because with each kill the the player received the rank of the former player. Number one was the highest ranked.

DeLacy scrolled wanting to find her pool, profiles were gaining black lines across them as people were dropping like flies in other pools. Over half the pools themselves were already gone. Other polls can go attack players from other pools, those who are inexperienced and naive tend to do so. The higher the pool, and the higher the player the more wealth, the more power, and the more influence one had.

DeLacy was getting annoyed they still hadn't put up a search bar after all this time and technology. Annoying, every year. DeLacy huffed  lifting her coat revealing her gun. Her fingers were on her hilt relaxed and calm. Jackson noticed this. She was staring at her phone...but the movement was too. Jackson ushered Rollins to get up.

"What?", asked Rollins. Jackson pointed back.

Anderson lifted his head noticing the fuss. He jolted up reaching for his gun as he saw the light in the cabin bathroom was on and occupied. DeLacy turned hearing the door open. She raised her eyes to what was greeting her.

"Great...", she huffed glaring.