Chapter Thirteen

Lauren stood in her formal uniform standing straight. Skirt tight and she swallowed. She had been called up at random notice. Called to see her superior in his office. It was 0900 as intended. 9:00 a.m. in the morning. She had received the call thirty minutes earlier saying it was urgent. She was officially off duty today. Someone else covered her shift today.

She swallowed taking a deep breath and knocked on the door. She hit it twice dropping her hand.

"Who is it?", asked the commander from inside.

"Sir, it's Corporal Lauren Hues, sir", she replied standing at the door not going inside.

"Come in Corporal", said the Commander from inside.

Lauren's hands were sweating and she swallowed again opening the door and stepped inside. The commander looked up. He was the head of the Naval Armed forces stationed at the Bay of Bengal here in Bangladesh. "Close it", said the Commander setting down his pen.

He folded his hands. And Lauren turned staring at the highly decorated man. "Sit Corporal", he ordered motioning for her to do so.

Lauren did as she was told feet flat on the ground in her heels and set her naval hat in her lap taking it off. The Commander stared at her and sighed, "I just got off the phone with the The United States Military Advisory Board who were called into session this morning", the commander paused looking at the Corporal.

Lauren's heart was pounding. Had they found out? Had they really figured it out? Lauren didn't remember any slip ups or mistakes. She had been extra careful. Extra cautious.

He pulled a file handing it to the Corporal. "What is this Sir?", she asked taking it.

The Naval Commander stood up straightening papers. "You've heard of Jamie DeLacy haven't you?", asked the Commander.

Lauren squinted shaking her head opening the file, "I'm sorry sir, I haven't. Should I?", she asked. She was confused. What did this have anything to do with her?

"The US attorney general has ordered me to keep her safe. There have been recent assassination attempts that the US has become aware of. The investigation of the bombing in London four months ago.....we have reason to believe she is being targeted....", said the Commander his voice trailing off.

He turned towards the window. Stroking his chin. "I've been ordered to assign you to her as she stays here in India", said the Commander.

Lauren tilted her head. "Permission to speak sir", she asked.

"Yes Corporal", replied the commander turning back and facing her.

"Sir, I understand my comment may sound crude but why am I being assigned? Surely there are other more highly qualified individuals", said Lauren.

"It's an order Corporal", said the Commander glaring at her.

"Understood sir", replied Lauren shutting her mouth promptly.

"Good", said the commander who picked up his sudden ringing phone. He nodded, "I'll be right down, yes, understood", he replied setting it down and picked up his hat.

"She's arriving", said the Commander.

Lauren stood up following the commander out and was scanning the file. She felt her phone buzz and she took it out glancing at the Commander who was walking forward. She knew where to go.

Lauren had received an email. From an unknown sender. She knew full well what it was for. Lauren glanced up opening the app and began to read.

-Sender: Unknown-
-Receiver: Player Number 10057
Congratulations to all who are still participating. We are notifying you that only fifty percent of you remain. This is the fiftieth anniversary of the Game. Every decade we like to mix things up. It is known as the Decade Year. The rules have not changed. However, we are now pairing players together. You are to work together or not. However, it is highly recommended that you do.

Rules regarding cooperation: none
Rules regarding elimination: none

Player Number 10057------- you have be paired with Player Number 01

Lauren stared at her phone. She exited. Paired with Player Number 01. Who is Player Number One?
The app had changed its settings and as Lauren went to her profile she noticed a second image on her screen next to her's and the bold words.

-Paired-

Lauren stared at the picture for a moment blinking. She snapped open the file turning the pages frantically. There it was. The pictures were identical. Lauren swallowed hard. Player Number One. The highest ranked in the entire Game. Was on this base......and was paired with her.