“How long is this going to take?” She asked. I could tell she was growing restless now.

                “I think I’m almost done.” I mumbled, completely in what I was doing.

                “I’m bored.” She said as she kissed my neck.

                “S-stop. I’m working right now.” I said, trying to resist the urge to expose more of my neck to her.

                “I like when you stutter.” She chuckled and continued to kiss my neck.

                My phone vibrated and I pulled it from my pocket. I opened it just as Erica found that one spot on my neck. “He-hello.” I stuttered. That must’ve been encouragement for her because I felt her lips turn up into a smile.

                “Hey man, dinner is in, like, 10 minutes. You okay?” Link’s voice came through the phone.

                I pushed Erica away and smiled at her. “Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll be over in a minute.”

                “Alright, see you soon.”

                I tucked the phone back in my pocket and looked at Erica. “Dinner.”

                “Can I come over later?” She asked.

                “Whenever you want.” I smiled and kissed her before standing up. “I have to go now. I’ll see you later, ok? I’ll text you when I’m done with dinner, and you can come over.”

                “Sounds like a plan.” She had this big grin and I held the door open for her as we left.

                I stood on the porch for a minute, not knowing whether to knock or just walk in. I didn’t feel right just walking in, so I knocked instead. Link came to the door and rolled his eyes when he saw me. “Just walk in next time, alright? You’re family.” He smiled and pulled me into a hug.

                Everyone kept calling me family. Did they really think that, or was it just to make me feel better? “Alright.” I said with a smile and hugged him back.

                “Come on.” He jerked his head to the dining room and I followed him in.

                His mom was setting food on the table and his dad was putting out plates and silverware. He smiled when he saw me and gestured to one of the seats. Link sat next to me and his parents sat down across from us. It was spaghetti tonight, which I thought was nice. My mom used to make dinner, but we never sat down to eat together. We’d all sit on the couch, not talk, and just watch TV. It wasn’t even a comfortable silence, it was tense.

                Dinner with Link’s family wasn’t like that. They asked about school and seemed genuinely interested, they asked if I was doing any sports and if I liked my new home.

                “I really like it there. It feels…new.”

                “I’m glad you like it here.” Link’s dad smiled at me.

                “I was actually wondering…do you have any attachment to the color of the kitchen?” I asked, not sure how to really go about the conversation.

                “I don’t know, what color is it now?” His dad asked.

                Link’s mom rolled her eyes at Mr. Preston, “No, we don’t care about the color. Are you thinking of painting it?”