Chapter 54

Lola's POV

"Now, tell me again what happened?"

"I've told you." I sobbed.

"Tell me again." The police officer asked for the 50th time.

I wiped at my face. "I told you, I came home, he must have been in the back yard and when I unlocked the door he came in, with a gun, asking for Alex."

"He was Alexandria's ex correct?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Had she had problems with him before?" He asked.

"Look I just want to go to the hospital and see my friend, I mean how is she, why won't someone tell me?" I cried.

"Because we don't know at this stage." He stated. "Now please answer the questions."

"It's not up to me to tell you about her life." I said, grabbing a tissue. "You need to ask her. Or can't you? Is she dead?" And I burst into fresh tears.

"Miss Baker, I've already told you that I am unaware of Miss McKenzie's condition." He said softly. "So I take it she's had problems with him before."

I nodded. Problems was an understatement.

Suddenly I heard a commotion outside, then a voice, yelling. "LOLA."

"My fiancé." I told the officer, just as Brian came bursting inside.

"Lola, babe." He gasped. "What the fuck is going on?"

I looked at him and burst into a fresh lot of tears. "Alex has been shot." I sobbed.

"What?" He asked unbelievably, pulling me into his arm's.

I nodded against his chest, wrapping my arm's around him and crying, I mean really crying.

"All right Miss Baker." The officer said softly. "That will be enough for now."

I pulled away from Brian to look at him. "I can leave, go to the hospital?"

"Of course." He said.

I looked at Brian and he took my hand. "Let's go."

I climbed into his car. I was a mess. I was still shaking and crying and as Brian drove away I was still trying to do up my seatbelt.

"Babe?" He asked softly, taking my hand. "What happened?"

"He was waiting when I came home." I whispered, wiping my face. "He wanted Alex, but Matt." And I let my voice trail off.

"Is Matt okay?"

I nodded, digging in my pocket for one of the tissues. "Yes, he tried to stop him Brian." I cried, wiping at my nose.

"Of course he did." He said squeezing my hand.

'Oh Brian." I sobbed. "It was horrible."

"Shhhh." He whispered.

"And now." I sobbed. "Now I don't know how Alex is."

"It's okay Lola, we'll find out." He reassured me.

He reassured me all the way to the hospital and once we arrived and got out of the car, he pulled me into his arm's, holding me tightly. "It's okay." He murmured.

"No." I whispered. He didn't see Alex. It wasn't okay. It wasn't okay at all.

"Come on, let's go inside."

And he led me inside, and thank god I had him, he did all the talking and finally we were directed to a room and as we opened the door to go inside Matt looked at us and I saw the disappointment on his face.

"Matt?" I asked, looking at him.

He shook his head. He looked so shattered, sitting there covered in blood.

Just the sight of him frightened me. "Where is she?"

"Surgery." He mumbled. "They took her away, as soon as we got here, they took and I haven't seen her. I just want to know what's going on."

"Okay, it's okay." Brian said. "I'll go and see what I can find out." And he kissed me softly, guiding me to a chair.

He left and I sat there, staring at the wall, wondering what was going on.

"What the fuck happened Lola?" Matt suddenly groaned.

I looked over at him, getting up, sitting next to him and hugging him. "I don't know." I whispered.

"Will she be okay?" He whispered.

I pulled back and took his face in my hands. "Of course she will Matt, of course she'll be fine, it's Alex, she'll be just fine."

He closed his eye's. "I can't live without her." He whispered. "I love her, so much."

"I know." I whispered, hugging him tightly. "I know you do. Now look, I'm going to speak to the nurses or someone and see about getting you something to change into to. You can't sit here looking like that."

I watched as he looked down at himself and it was like he was just noticing the blood for the first time. He held up his hands and I watched as his face crumpled and for the second time ever I saw Matt cry and it frightened me, seeing his tears.

I ended up just sitting there with him, letting him cry and waiting for Brian to come back, he'd been gone awhile and it was worrying me, worrying me a lot.

God, I hoped Alex was alright and I as I looked at Matt I realised she needed to be alright, for him.