Chapter Thirty Eight

-Niall's POV-

I found Harry laying out the plates and cutlery on the table, all three setups on one end. There was a plate at the head of the table which he probably assumed I'd sit at. But I didn't want to sit there. "It's wrong." My voice had Harry jump back and looked over at me. "The place you put the plates," I nodded to them and made my way over, "it's wrong."

"Oh, well," He watched as I took one of the plates and its utensils before putting it beside where Christine was going to sit, "ok. I didn't know."

"Yeah, you tend not to." My eyes narrowed up at the brunette boy as I stood glaring at him over the table. His head turned confused before he hesitantly pushed hair from his face.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You damn know what that means!" I hissed quietly, making sure not to catch Christine's attention. "You think you can do all this cute affectionate shit behind my back and not expect me to notice?"

"Niall, I honestly don't know-"

"Christine." Her name made Harry stop in his tracks as he blinked back at the name. His face softened at her name and he almost seemed like his was going to let his thoughts wonder off to her. "Let me just put something down for you," I came around the table so I was directly in front of Harry, "she is my girlfriend alright? Mine. I love her with everything I have and not you or anybody else is going to change that." Harry looked at me wide eyed as I poked his chest continuing. "I don't care if it's a crush or whatever the fuck it is. Your little feelings for my girl better stop."

"N-Niall, I think you have read it wrong." I scoffed and looked at him sarcastically.

"I've read it wrong? Me? Thinking that you like Christine?"

"Yes." Was his short answer as I snarled and stepped toe to toe so now our faces were inches apart. I was somewhat intimidating to Harry's tall figure which gave me leverage on making sure he got the message.

"You do not go near her or touch her or fucking whack her ass with a spatula. She is off limits and the faster you realise that, the better." Stepping back, I gave Harry an intense stare down before making my way back into the kitchen. He got the message; good.

. . .

The three of us had sat at the dining table for breakfast which was more awkward than anything. One of my hands shovelled down the food Christine had prepared while the other gripped firmly on her thigh. Harry was quiet during the course of the meal but I didn't care; it seemed like Christine did though.

"Harry, you alright? You're awfully quiet." Harry looked up at her and gave me a quick look as I stared at him intently.

"Yeah, yeah everything's fine." With a fake smile, he continued back into his meal as I rubbed my hand gently over my girlfriend's thigh. William happily ate some pancake at the head of the table after we woke him up not twenty minutes ago. He sleeps a lot for a child and sometimes that scares me; but other times I'm just so thankful.

"Niall," Christine dropped the subject and looked at me as I smiled and gave her my full attention, "when are we going back to London?"

"In a few days." I shrugged putting my last piece of food into my mouth.

"Oh, ok." She quietly replied as my eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Why?" I swallowed down and pushed my plate away.

"It's nothing." She threw me a lopsided smile before pushing her pancake around her plate. My hand on her leg lifted up to her shoulders as I caressed my thumb against the back of her neck. Her bottom lip trembled and her hands slightly shook as my eyes widened.

"Are you ok Christine?" Harry asked looking sadly at her as she nodded on the verge of tears.

"I-I'm sorry!" She covered her mouth and stood up before quickly leaving the room. I watched after her before getting to my feet and looking at Harry.

"Watch William." With a frown, Harry gave a nod as I took off after Christine, following her into our bedroom. "Baby," I watched her crumble on the bottom of the bed and instantly came to her side, "what's wrong?" Her small hands in comparison to mine wrapped around my figure as she brought me down to her. I was more than willing to let her hold me as my arms, on instinct, wrapped around her head.

She cried into my chest as I cooed soft soothing words beside her. It made me upset to see her like this; to see her suddenly feel this way without warning. I wanted-no. I needed to know that she was ok and I couldn't do that if her face was buried into my chest.

"Christine..." I whispered as she shook her head and lifted it to my neck. Setting myself comfortably on the bottom of the bed, I pulled her into my lap and held her close against me.

"S-stay." She choked out as I nodded, willing to do as she had asked.