Chapter Twenty Two

-Christine's POV-

The tour ended nearly half hour ago and I practically dragged Niall and William into the closest Starbucks I could find. I haven't had one in a million years and it's about time I changed that. Niall had put William down to take out his wallet though I quickly snatched it from his hold as he looked at me wide eyed.

"I'm paying this time. No what, if's or buts about it." Pulling out my purse, Niall pouted reaching for his wallet.

"But I like paying for you. Let me spoil you." He whined like a five year old as I held my laugh back.

"Let your lovely girlfriend pay for you for once." Niall and I held an intent stare before he puffed out a sigh and nodded.

"Alright. Just this once though." Happily giving his wallet back, I looked around for my stomach to slightly drop.

"Niall," my hand gripped his bicep as I looked around the shop wide eyed, "where's William?" Niall looked around the shop as well before his figure tensed.

"William!" He yelled looking around the table's with people on them as I instantly ran outside and shot my head both ways. Fuck, fuck, fuck! We drew our attention away for one second and now he's gone! Fuck! I should have never distracted Niall! This is my fucking fault. "WILLIAM!" Niall yelled looking at me and then up the street. "Oh shit! Oh fucking fuck!" Niall ran his hands through his hair as his eyes began to brim with tears.

"Will-"

I went to yell but my eyes caught a glimpse of the blonde headed boy a few meters up the street. My feet instantly ran me over to him, desperately getting through people until he was plain in sight. But somebody was there kneeling in front of him and talking to him.

"William!" Niall cried running over as the infant turned around. Kneeling down, Niall took his son into his hold as he felt over him to make sure he was alright. "Don't you ever run off from daddy again!" Niall planted a thousand kisses over his face as I put a hand over my heart and leant over catching my breath.

"Lucky I found him." We both looked up to see Brianna standing there, trying to give an innocent smile but somehow hiding an obvious smirk. Niall's face contorted into one of anger as he picked up William and came to his feet. "He just wandered off up the street-"

"Bullshit!" Niall snapped as Brianna blinked taken back. "William would never just leave a shop by himself!" Turning, Niall came back to me as I cupped William's head and kissed over his face.

"You gave me a heart attack." William blinked up at me as I lingered a kiss to his forehead.

"Well I don't know why he was out here then." Brianna rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as Niall shook his head at her. "What? No thanks for making sure our baby didn't get lost?" I cringed at how she worded that sentence before dropping my gaze away. It was true; she was his mother after all. Niall kept silent debating whether he should thank his ex-lover or not. "Anyway, since I'm obviously not going to get appreciated, we need to set a date."

"What?"

"You know," She pointed to William, "so I can spend time with my son." The topic brought up made me flinch back as I had to physically step away. I didn't want to get involved into another fight with Niall over this. I had to trust him.

Niall glanced back at me probably relaying the same memory I was; so I just nodded. William was her son and she does have a right to spend time with him.

"You know what? I'll text you this afternoon. Maybe we can go from there." Brianna did sound completely professional when talking about arranging a date so she can spend time with William. But we all know that, that is just a mask she wears to impress Niall and lure him in even more.

"Fine." Was all Niall said and took my hand before pulling us back into Starbucks. I was surprised he still wanted it after recent events. "I'm paying. No arguments." And under normal circumstances, I would argue. But it would be smart just to keep my mouth shut for today. I'll buy lunch or something tomorrow.

. . .

So instead of texting Niall, Brianna decided to ring him instead. I know that what he's doing is what he thinks is right, but I don't trust her alone with him for a minute. Let alone a day if that's what she's organising with Niall at this very moment.

I sat inside with William curled on my lap, feeding him and I chocolate as we both watched Toy Story three on his tablet. We nearly lost him today; that scares the absolute shit out of me. It was the same for Maddy the first time Niall and I met. Thank god these children have some sort of guardian angels watching over them.

"-alright, that's set. See you tomorrow." My eyes widened at Niall's voice as he stepped back into the apartment. Tomorrow? How desperate is this bitch?

But not wanting to make a big deal or scene from it, I pretended like I never heard him and broke off another chocolate piece for William.

"Jesus." Niall sighed throwing his phone on the couch at my feet before kneeling beside us and kissing William. "I love you William." He said wrapping an arm around him and kissing his shoulder. "Daddy loves you very much." His eyes looked like they were close to glossing over, so I put my hand in his hair as he looked up at me.

We exchanged an understanding look as I pulled his face into my shoulder. He silently accepted the gesture and buried himself against me as I let my fingers massage his scalp.

"I'm a terrible father." He muttered as I shook my head and rubbed the back of his neck.

"You're anything but."

"We almost lost him today Christine."

"And I will take full responsibility for that." Niall lifted his head as I blinked back to see his face. He looked almost hurt that I would say what I did.

"Don't blame yourself for what happened today. We're both reliable as each other." Letting his eyes burn deeply into mine, I found myself to silently nod.

"Ok."