Chapter Thirty-Four

JOES POV

I was just sitting in the room waiting for Chloe to come back in. She really doesn't deserve this, and I hope Josh can pull through.

I told Josh that I love Chloe, I really think I do. It's only been what? a month? but as cliche as it sounds there is a connection and every time I'm around her I smile like an idiot, I just want her to be in my arms 24/7, I don't know what it is about her but whatever it is, it's very powerful.

I know that now isn't the best time to be telling her things like this, I know that I have to wait until she's in a better place.

I was snapped out of my trance by the sound of the door opening, I figured it was Chloe but I was surprised when a medium height guy walked around the corner. He must be Mason. I have to say I was slightly taken back by muscular he was.

Note to self; Don't get on Mason's bad side

"you must be Joe" he said, he knows who I am that's a good thing. I'm pretty sure.

"Yeah, Mason right?" I nodded and stuck out my hand, he shook it with a firm grip and sat down.

"Shame we have to meet like this" He said in his very strong Australian accent. "Mhm" I replied.

It was silent for a while before I heard the door swing open again.Chloe walked in, she had bloodshot eyes and tear stained cheeks, but she wasn't crying. She came over to me and sat on my lap, just like she had done before she went out.

She didn't say anything, just came in, no crying. I couldn't read her that annoyed me. I usually can read everyone's face, their emotion. 

I wrapped my arms around her waist and placed my chin on her shoulder like I did a while ago. Mason sat in silence, he stared contently at Josh. I thought I saw a glimpse of tears but he seemed to push them away well.

"I think it was Owen" she whispered not breaking her gaze from her little brother. I was slightly shocked at her statement but just from two meetings I had experienced with Owen, I can believe it. 

...

After four hours we finally got submitted to a proper ward and we were finally told what happened, the full story. 

"The man, the father of the kids, he was knocked on conscious and shoved into a closest. He was found before he woke up so he is okay. Just going through the same thing you are all going through right now. He'll be in to see Josh after he's been observed for a few more hours. The police are still working on the scene. We will need to talk to both of you. " she said referring to me and Mason. "We can offer immediate counselling services, I know this must be hard. Just let us know if there's anything that we can do" the police woman finished. 

Then the doctor came in. 

"We have Josh's results" he said. The five words that followed set Chloe off, "He's in a temporary coma" 

"All we can do at the moment is wait and hope he wakes up" 

"NO there has to be something else you can do! please thats my brother.. please" she pleaded. I wanted to cry, but I had to be strong. For Josh, for Chloe. 

I stood up and walked over to the place she was sitting. I lifted her up so she was on her tip toes with her face buried in my chest. She sobbed into my shirt as I ran my hands soothingly up and down her back. 

Mason was crying, not nearly as much as Chloe but there were tears. 

Why couldn't things just go her way for once?