Chapter Thirty-Three

CHLOES POV

"The house was vandalised, a young girl was stabbed to death, a young boy was seriously injured has been rushed to hospital, there has been no adults found as of right now" 

"no" 

"no"

"your joking, this is a sick joke" 

"I'm sorry ma'm"

"no please no"

Tears flowed out of my eyes, my heart rate picked up, my breaths became short and quick, my knees weakened and I fell to the ground. 

I felt arms wrap around me and pick me up. I did not stand. I could not stand. So I was held, sobs coming out of my mouth like they had been trapped for years. I did not feel. nothing made sense. 

There was commotion and noise all around me but I was not aware of it. I heard a voice saying soothing things but it did not help. I saw people pass with pity practically dripping off their face. I didn't care about those people, I didn't want their pity. No amount of pity could bring back my sister or save my brother. Josh. I need to go to him.

"t-t-take me to him" I managed to say, and then I was moving, well I wasn't moving, I was being moved. Soon I was in a car and I was being taken to him. 

***

I sat by the bed, he laid there his chest barley rising and barely falling, he didn't move. Not once. The only thing that was keeping me sane was the rhythmic sound of the heart monitor. I just wished on my lucky stars that it didn't stop. 

The walls around us were white and cold, it gave me the chills like no place I've ever been before. Joe was waiting with me, we didn't actually know what had happened or what state he was in, I did know that no matter what I could not lose him. 

After waiting and crying for about half an hour, the sound of Joe's phone ringing snapped me out of a trance. I looked at him for the first time since we've been in here. "It's Oli" he said, I nodded and he took it as a signal to take it.

He answered it and walked out of the room, it was the first time I've truly been alone with Josh. 

I grabbed his hand, it was cold, it was lifeless. 

"You have to get through this, you have to" I whispered, my voice cracked half way through. "Liv is with mum now, but I'm still here, I'm still here for you when you wake up, you can move in with me if your dad doesn't make it. I don't know what happening buddy but I need you to get through this" I spoke as calmly and as clearly as I could.

Joe walked back in, shoving his phone in his pocket. He walked to me, lifted me up and sat down placing me on his lap. His strong arms wrapped around my waist and his chin rested on my shoulder. "He'll get through it, I know I've only met him once but I know he's a fighter" He said quietly. I nodded. I knew Joe was trying to help but it just wasn't working, the only thing that will is Josh waking up.

"I need to cal M-Mason" I said, unwrapping my self from Joe and grabbing my phone that was on the small bench that went around two of the four walls.

"okay" Joe smiled, not bothering to ask who Mason was, he probably was curious but he knew that now was not the time. 

-PHONE CALL BETWEEN MASON AND CHLOE-

M- hey clo

C- M-mason 

M- what's wrong? 

C- Can you come to the hospital, perth royal 

M- I'll be there as soon as I can 

M- are you okay?

C- L-liv w-w-was killed and j-josh is in hospital

M- oh Chloe, I'll be there really soon

C- O-okay

-END OF PHONE CALL-

It was hard to get through an actual conversation without drowning in a puddle of my own tears or collapsing. But I did it. 

I walked back into the room silently so I Joe didn't hear me, but I heard him.

"Josh, bud I really need you to pull through for your sister, she loves you more than you know and me and you well first of all, I need to beat you in fifa and also you, you need to be my best man at mine and Chloe's wedding. I know you think I'm crazy talking about this when I've only known her for what nearly a month? but man I really like your sister, scratch that I think I might love her. and I need you to beat this for you for me and for Chloe. "

His words made me cry harder, I'm so lucky to have him.

I decided to pretend like I hadn't heard anything and act like I just walked in. I went over to Joe and sat on his lap again, he repositioned his arms around my waist and leant his head against my back, inhaling and exhaling loudly as if he was doing it so I had a pattern to follow.

 After a few minutes of silence a doctor and policewoman walked through the door. The doctor was tall, he had chestnut/brown hair and a little bit of stubble around his chin. The policewoman was slim and medium height, she had long red hair and minimal makeup on. 

"Ms.Lloyd may I have a word" the policewoman said, I looked at Joe and then back to the woman. The doctor was looking at the machines the Josh was connected to and taking notes. I nodded towards the policewoman and she motioned me out the door.

Joe gave me a slight smile as I left, I tried to return it but I think I failed. 

"My name is Macy, I'm here to tell you all the details of what happened today, are you ready?" She asked softly. I just nodded again.

"Olivia May Lloyd was your younger sister? correct" she asked, "y-yes" I answered trying to hold back tears. Macy sighed, "I know this can't be easy, would you like someone to be here with you" she spoke motioning her head towards the door to indicate Joe. 

I shook my head, if Joe came out here I would only cry more, "I see" she said, but before she could talk anymore Mason came running around the corner. He stopped when he saw me and we just looked at each other for a few seconds before he came up to me engulfing me in a bear hug. 

I couldn't stop myself from crying so I just let it out, my head in the crook of his neck, we swayed back and forth on the balls of our feet. Macy didn't interrupt us she's probably done this sort of thing before. 

After about a minute I finally built enough strength to let go of Mason, I took a deep breath in and made eye contact with the policewoman. She gave a sympathetic smile and sat down on the hospital waiting room seats , tapping the seat next to her.

I sat down and Mason went into the room with Joe, Josh and the doctor.