Ch. 40-Juliet

Sorry for the late post yall! I really hope this goes thru without any probs. Voting helps out and oh! I heard that voting on the prologue REALLY helps so can you go back and make sure you did that (the first chapter for us yall!). Thanks!

*********************

Thalia’s POV

  “What’s wrong?” I hear Caleb ask but I’m too in shock. I can’t believe it.

     I clutch the sheets to Ayden’s bed as Caleb kneels next to me. I barely notice Caleb wrap his arm around my shoulder because I’m staring at the pile of ash on the bed. Why couldn’t I help this time?

  “Thalia sweetheart what’s wrong? Why did you scream?” Caleb asks. I know I have to answer him but I just can’t. Cleo please help me.

   “He’s dead. We saw him die,” Cleo says through me with a soft voice. That’s a nice way to put it Cleo.

  “Who?” Caleb asks. How can he not know?

     I take a deep breath and without Cleo’s help I manage to say, “Ayden. He died in front of me right here. I was in the doorway and I…I didn’t know what to do.” Caleb continues to comfort me and I’m grateful for him being here. It was scary seeing Aston die in front of me. I wish I could just erase that memory forever.

  “But….there’s just ash,” Caleb says and I look up at him. Does he think I’m lying?

  “Are you telling me that I don’t know when a person dies?” I demand. Caleb seems to notice his mistake but I’m too worked up now to let him speak.

  “Ayden didn’t scream or yell. He just had the look of death in his eyes. That’s the last thing I saw of Ayden, his amber eyes. Ayden just…” is all I can say before getting choked up. I don’t know I’m crying until Caleb wipes away a single tear.

  “I’m sorry. It’s going to be alright. Now Ayden’s not sick anymore,” Caleb says.

  “But he’s dead!” I exclaim. How is being dead better?

   Caleb pulls me up from the ground and pulls me close. His scent is comforting, but I’ll need a lot more than just a hug to feel better. Does Caleb really think that’s all it takes? Even I don’t know what to do. I barely know how I feel.

  “Go and take care of yourself. I’ll clean up in here and do something with the ashes,” Caleb says. I nod before Cleo reminds me again that magic’s evil. Yes that’s right Cleo. Magic is evil and Caleb feels the same. I understand.

    I look toward the bed, the last place Ayden was, and flick my wrist while letting the magic flow through me. It’s gotten a lot easier to control recently, but it always leaves me tired. The window opens and a swirl of healthy green leaves collect Ayden’s ashes. They leave in a similar fashion and I lookup at Caleb.

   He’s looking between the open window and the bed before finally looking down at me. I don’t have for his ‘is magic is hurting you’ talk even though my heart is racing.

  “There. Happy now? It’s like he was never here,” I say before pushing past him.

  “Thalia I didn’t-,” is all I hear Caleb say before slamming the door. Thanks a lot mate.

    I hear Caleb groan as I slide down the door while clutching my chest. I have to get out of this house. If Caleb sees me like this in so much pain he will blow it out of proportion. I just can’t find the strength to get up. I feel so worthless. I just can’t do anything right.