Ch. 21-Poor Alpha

Thalia’s POV

  “No I can’t say that I know anyone by the name of Mrs. Ruby Verdicio,” I tell Caleb honestly as he’s looking through a stack of papers. I came in the room about twenty minutes ago to ask Caleb if he wanted a sandwich.

    I couldn’t stand being in this room with Caleb anymore. I needed time to go off on my own. I ended up looking at the herb garden near the house for a few minutes. It’s a nice sunny day, but I’m a little hungry. I didn’t know that Caleb would be concentrating so hard on something when I walked in. He has yet to tell me what all of this is about.

   Caleb is just scanning the pages carefully as I rub his shoulders. It feels nice to take care of Caleb for a change even though I still want a sandwich. Caleb is highlighting and circling a few key points and I’m left a little confused. Is he working on a school paper? I look down at the floor while a little embarrassed because school stuff is such a foreign topic to me. I know the basics and I would assume that I’m as educated as a barely average person my age. It’s just that school work has never made sense to me.

   I can never wrap my head around hypothetical questions and hours of studying pointless information. The way Caleb is concentrating and double checking things makes me think Caleb’s an honor student. This just goes to show how different Caleb is from me. I have to remind myself that different isn’t a bad thing like Cleo says but I just can’t help feeling insecure. I really don’t want to hold him back.

  “Okay thank you. Do you need something,” Caleb asks while finally looking up. I smile lightly before patting his shoulder. I was supposed to ask him that but I never got the chance.

  “I’ll just bring you something to eat. Okay?” I ask. Caleb nods and I sigh before walking out of the room. Is this all I can do for him?

  ‘Slow and Steady,’ Cleo reminds me. I groan mentally before putting bread into the toaster. I like fast and unpredictable.

    As I pick up a knife, I can’t help but think about that witch again. I really shouldn’t think about her. I don’t even know what she meant by that weird riddle so why can’t I stop thinking about her? I place the ham in the microwave before closing my eyes. I need to stop stressing about a problem I can’t fix. I hear the front door open before someone calls my name. Good a distraction is just what I need.

  “In the kitchen,” I exclaim before walking to the fridge. What does Caleb put on his sandwiches?

  “Thalia darling, I’m here to rescue you!” Josella exclaims. When I look over at her, I notice that something’s off about her. I just can’t figure it out. She seems excited enough but there’s something about the look in her eye.

  “Did Jon and Sylvia leave,” I guess. Josella nods yes before taking a seat. I knew it.

  “I just saw them off and decided to bother you. Sorry about this but Zeke is boring. He’s on the computer claiming that he’s ‘working’,” she says.

  “Maybe he is working. Caleb is,” I explain while putting a layer of pickles on. Now I want a sandwich.

     I cut the sandwich in half as Josella says, “If Zeke’s working, I’m tanning. If he’s looking at porn without me I’ll kill him.” I can’t help but giggle before putting the sandwich on the table. I wonder if Caleb does that without me. No, when would he have the time? Mind out of the gutter please, Thalia.

  When I look back, Josella is chewing on a half of Caleb’s sandwich. There goes Caleb cance of eating anytime soon  I sigh before pouring two glasses of orange juice. I guess Caleb can wait a few more minutes. As I place a cup in front of Josella she smirks appreciatively.