Ch. 36-Chicken Soup

Caleb’s POV

    I walk out of the shower and my room is empty. That’s strange. How could Thalia leave so soon?

    I get dressed quickly, basket ball shorts and a t-shirt specifically, before walking out of the room. I put on a pair of sandals and someone touches my back. When I look behind me, I see Annjie looking up at me.

  “What’s wrong?” I ask. Do I really have to start my Alpha job so soon?

  “I…well I’m not really supposed to tell you, but Thalia is busy so…,” Annjie trails off. I kneel so I’m eye to eye with Annjie and I notice that she’s panicked. It’s that easy to tell but there’s something about the way she’s biting the inside of her cheek.  

  “What is it you can’t tell me?” I ask without Alpha influence. I think Annjie will cough up the info on her own.

  “That Sage is planning to kill you,” she says before gasping. “I wasn’t supposed to tell you that!” I see. Well isn’t this just a great day?

  “Where is he?” I ask while standing up.

  “In his room,” Annjie says while looking upset. I hope she doesn’t start to cry. The poor kid is only eleven-ish.

  “Okay go fix yourself some breakfast,” I tell her. Annjie nods before slowly making her way to the kitchen.

    I make my way for Sage’s room and hear metal scraping against metal. What the….wolf?

   ‘I wouldn’t go in if I were you,’ my inner wolf advices me. Maybe I should listen to my wolf for a change.

  “There you are Caleb. Can you wake Sage for me?” Thalia asks while walking out of the guest room. That must be where Ayden is. I’m too focused on Sage to worry about Thalia being alone with Ayden right now.

  “I think your brother is trying to kill me,” I tell her honestly.

   Thalia rolls her eyes before mumbling, “Not this again.” Does this really happen so often?  

    I step to the side as Thalia knocks on the door. The metal sound stops immediately and I wonder what Thalia will do.

   After a bit of mumbling, I hear Sage call out, “Yeah Pars?”

  “I’m coming in so whatever traps you have, move them,” she says. I hear a lot of things being moved but Thalia just seems neutral.

  “And your fine with all this?” I question. I know that I shouldn’t try and figure out how Thalia’s mind works but I just can’t help being curious.

  “Yeah. Dad taught him how to make all these cool inventions. It’s just like me with magic. It’s a way to feel closer to Mom and Dad. Plus if Sage really wanted to kill you, he would have done so by now,” she says as if that’s helpful.

   The door opens slightly and when I look down I see Sage glaring at me.

  “What do you want?” Sage asks in a bored tone. Is he this serious about killing me?

  “I need you up and out of here. I’m going to clean the house and make sure it’s germ free. What are you doing in there?” Thalia asks.

   Sage looks back before saying, “Sharpening. I’m going to melt a few things later.” Melt things where?

  “Don’t start a forest fire. Oh and bring your clothes to the laundry room,” my mate says before kissing Sage’s forehead and walking away. Well I guess that’s it. I raise and eyebrow at Sage and he sighs.