TASK THREE ENTRIES: MALE TRIBUTES

DISTRICT 1: AZRAEL THANATOS

I stand at the edge of the toxic water surrounding the Cornucopia. The place is desolate — well, it's always been desolate, but it's worse now. The bodies of the tributes who died in the blood bath have been removed, but the eerie silence leaves too much time to remember what happened here.

My feet lead me towards the Cornucopia, and my heart sinks. So much destruction happened here. Some of the deaths were my fault. Mae was my fault. She needed to be killed, of course, but it doesn't make it any easier.

My ally, Cara Everest, is gone. She didn't make it out of the bloodbath like I did. Alone in the middle of the swamp, I let the sadness and guilt I've been pushing away crush me. I drop to my knees and weep. The things I have done here already have caused so much pain.

I don't want to let it change me. I didn't want to become the monster I was once. There is no way to protect anyone here from the sort of being I am.

I suck in a deep breath and stare through blurred vision at the sprawling Cornucopia. There's still some stuff to get here, but I don't know if I can bear to get up just yet. Tears still drip down my cheeks."I'm sorry, Everest. I should've done more." I slam my fist into the ground with a whimper, and more tears come as pain erupts in my knuckles. "I should've done more to keep you safe. We were allies, darn it all!"

I know she can't hear me. But it makes me feel a little better to vent my frustration aloud.

***

I meet up with my ally, Ian, in the mountains. He and the two tributes from 8 have camped out in a small cave a few hours from the swamp and the lake. With a friendly nod, I sit down next to Ian and start dumping out the things I found at the Cornucopia.

They watch in interest as I spread out my array of leaves, berries, and roots. Valora scoots over and picks up the Virginia creeper berries. "These look like tiny blueberries."

Seriously? They're too shiny for that. And not even the right shade of blue. I roll my eyes and go to pull the remaining herbs out of my bag.

Ian clears his throat and starts to say something. "Valora... You shouldn't—"

Then it dawns on me that she's putting it into her mouth. "Don't eat that!" I slap her hand away with a startled gasp.

The berry rolls away from us and sits in the firelight, gleaming maliciously.

"Don't touch any of this. Capiche, Hayes?" I lean closer to her, my eyes narrowing.

She's trembling as she stares at me in fear.

I'm not trying to frighten her. She needs to know she can't touch my stuff safely, though. She's also given me quite the fright. Taking a deep breath, I soften my voice. "Valora, that would've killed you. We don't have antidotes for it here."

Her eyes pool with tears. "Why didn't you say so?"

"Because I didn't think you'd try to eat unidentified plants." My voice raises an octave as I realize how close I came to killing someone by mistake. My hands shake as I collect the berries and rinse them off with some of my water.

She looks away. "I'm sorry."

My tone becomes acidic. "Whatever... I couldn't care less if you kill yourself."

She hangs her head, and Ian speaks up. "She didn't know, Az. Leave her be."

He's right. Of course he is. I'm being a jerk. 8 doesn't have much in the way of plants or wildlife; there's no way she could know. I'm just scared, and I tend to lash out instead of owning up to that fear.

I sigh. "Hayes—" I hesitate because that sounds rude. "Valora... I'm sorry."

Valora nods with a small smile. "Thanks for keeping me from eating it."

"Well, I can't let you kill yourself." I laugh and go back to sorting out the plants.

A howl sounds in the distance.

I look up, and we all stare at the entrance.

"Ian?"

"Yeah?" His voice wavers.

"You didn't mention wolves."

"I don't think that they're wolves. At least, not normal ones." Cedar moves closer to our small fire.

I glare down at the ground. "Just our luck. If we stay quiet, maybe they won't find us."

The howl fades out eerily, and a clear, bell-like voice rings across the mountains.

Everyone goes back to staring out the entrance of the cave.

"What the heck?" Ian stands up. "Which idiot is singing out there? Do they want to kill us?"

I pull Ian back down. "Everyone wants us dead. That's the point of this game. If they want to get themselves killed, so be it. At least we can enjoy the song."

The musical voice flows over us, making me shiver. There aren't any spoken words, but the music pulls at my heart. It brings out my deepest desires. The wish to be loved again. To have a family and a wife someday. It seems to whisper to me that I can have it if I come.

I come to my feet without thinking about it. "I feel like we ought to go check it out, actually..." I mumble, moving towards the entrance.

Ian follows me. "You just said we should stay here."

I shake my head. "I was wrong. We should go find whoever's singing."

Valora gets up and tugs me away from the entrance. "Do you have a death wish?"

I push her away. "The woman wants us to come... She says she can help us."

Cedar frowns. "She singing about a paradise."

"You're all crazy! There's no singing. Just howling." Valora grips my shoulder as I struggle against her. "Tell them, Ian."

Ian comes to stand next to me. "No, Valora. You're crazy. There's someone out there, and they need help."

Valora slaps him. "Snap out of it, Ian! Please." Her voice is high-pitched and shaky.

Why can't she hear the singing? Are we all hearing different things? The sad singing of the woman fogs my thinking, and all I can think is to go. To get to her wherever she is and beg her to give me what I want most.

"Azrael?" Valora's eyes fill with tears as she stands in front of me. "Please. There is no singing, just wolves. You'll get yourselves killed. You have to stop this. Stop them."

I look down at her. Her pretty face is streaked with tears. Her dark hair is tangled from her flight to the mountains, and it frames her face, making her seem paler than before. Her eyes are wide and bright in her delicate face, and tears push past her long lashes.

She clings to me, putting her hands on my shoulders. "Please, don't go out there. I don't care if you're my ally or not. I can't watch you guys die." Her lilting voice drowns out the singing of the other woman for a few moments, and I blink down at her, disoriented as the howling of wolves sounds in the distance.

What happened to the woman? Then the singing returns, and I don't hear any wolves. It must be the stress and Valora's fear getting to me.

"Why do you care, Valora?" I whisper, wiping away her tears.

Her breath catches as she stares up at me. She bites her lip, thinking. "Because I've already killed too many people, and I'm not letting you, Ian, and Cedar get killed chasing after some imaginary singer."I lean down until our foreheads touch and smile. With a purring whisper, I say, "There are no wolves out there, Valora. Just a woman who wants to help us. We're not in any danger, and we can handle whatever comes our way."

She shakes her head and bursts into tears. "P-please don't do this." She turns to Ian as he steps out of the cave. "Ian!" Her voice strangles in her throat. "Ian, please."

Cedar gets up and walks to her. "Val, stay here. It's okay. We'll be fine."

"No, you won't." Valora clings to him. "Cedar, don't let them do it. Stay here with me and help me keep them here too."

Cedar looks down at her and gives her a hug. "If you don't want to come, then don't. We get it."I push past her and grab my gear. Following Ian, I leave the cave and head toward the singing. It's nearby. That much I can tell.

"No!" Valora wails. "You're going to get killed. Come back!"

The three of us ignore her, and she breaks down into hysterical sobbing.

"The singer's nearby." I tell the other two. "Somewhere in this pass."

We walk for about ten minutes, and soon we come across the woman.

She has long, silvery hair. Wide green eyes meet our gazes with steady determination. She steps forward. Her hair sways from side to side, and her blue dress moves around her in swirls. It's tightly fitted with slits up to mid-thigh. Her creamy skin is almost as pale as the snow lying in patches around us. "You came?" Her voice is velvety and soft.

I step forward. "We did. You have a beautiful voice."

She steps closer to me with a coy smile. Looking at me through her pale lashes, she moves even closer. "Thank you."

"You aren't one of the other tributes." Ian pipes up.

"No, I'm not. But I've been here for ages. Ever since they built the arena. It's my home." She runs her fingers along my arms and up to my shoulders. "There are more of us. You could come with us and be safe from this place. None of you would have to die." Her green eyes hold me in their spell. "You could have a wife... A home and kids. That's all you've ever really wanted, isn't it, Azrael?"

Her minty breath fans my face as she stands on tiptoes to look at my expression better. I nod. "It's the only reason I have to live." I whisper, sadness sweeping over me.

"Well, it's a good reason. You could have it with me..." She suggests.

I let my eyes roam over her form. She's sweet and ethereally beautiful. I could see myself raising a family with her and being happy. "I could?" I ask, looking into her bottomless eyes and searching them for any hint of deception.

"Of course. You just have to come with me." She leans up and presses her lips to mine. "That's all it takes to make me yours."

I shake my head. "It's all so fast, though."

"Whatever do you mean?" She smiles.

"I mean, I just met you. You're in an arena where kids are sent to kill each other, and..."

She presses her mouth to mine again. "Don't think about any of that. It doesn't matter."

"The Gamemakers know where I am..." I start to panic and back away.

She pulls me into her, soothing me with her touch. "Azrael, we can get rid of the tracker. You'll be okay. So will the two boys with you. They can live out their own dreams here."

Cedar speaks up. "Thanatos, could you quit kissing her in front of us? You hardly know her. And I want to go home to Tawson. I don't want to stay here."

The woman nods. "I know, Cedar. I know... We've been watching you three. I can get you home to Tawson." She looks over at Ian. "Ian, I can get you home to your family too."

I clear my throat. "How do we know this isn't a trick? How come the Gamemakers don't know about you? They would've found you when the arena was built. You couldn't have snuck in after."

She runs her fingers through my hair. "Why would we trick you? What would we stand to gain through that?"

"You could be one of their mutations." I whisper, trailing my fingers over her delicate mouth.

"We're not." Her eyes are deep and sad.

"They would say that too."

She sighs. "You just have to trust me. Take a step of faith."

I contemplate what she's offering. She seems trustworthy. "I can settle down and find a home with your people?"

She nods.

"Ian and Cedar can go home?"

She nods again.

I let go of the breath I was holding. "Okay. I'll go."

Ian and Cedar smile when I turn to face them. I don't think any of us can believe our luck. But we want it to be true so badly. I push away any doubt. She's trying to help us. I'm sure of it. It's not like the Gamemakers have ever created a woman for a mutt. I mean, no other humans besides the tributes are allowed in the arena. They must not know about her or her people.

"You guys coming?"

They nod.

"A chance to go home? You think I'd pass that up? He's crazy, I tell you." Ian grins at the woman.She laughs, and the sound runs over my skin like silk. "I don't mind that at all." Her hand rests on my arm, and she pulls me forward. I follow gladly. "My name is Mirmah."

I like it. It's soft and flowing like she is.

A scream sounds behind us.

I start and turn.

Valora did follow us. She's staring around us in terror. "Guys, you need to slowly back towards me." She sounds like she's on the verge of tears.

"Valora?" Mirmah's voice cuts through the younger girl's hysteria. "Honey, it's okay. You can come too. We'll keep you safe and get you home if that's where you want to go."

She shakes her head. "You're a mutt."

I stare at her in astonishment and pull Mirmah closer to me in protectiveness. Valora pulls a knife and heads our way.

"She's going to kill you. Lead you straight into a trap." Valora grabs my arm.

I glare at her. "Shut up, Valora. You have no idea what you're talking about, and I've had enough of it. Leave her alone or I'll kill you."

Valora stares at me in astonishment. "Are you kidding me?"

"Do I look like I'm kidding?"

She shakes her head. "I'll take that chance."

With a yell, she attacks Mirmah. It's probably a good thing she forgot her blow darts. Otherwise, I'd be in serious trouble.

I step in and block her with my own blade. Our knives clash, and the noise rings over the mountains. I move in front of Mirmah. "I think you should run, Mirmah."

Mirmah laughs. "Why don't you step aside? I can handle this girl."

I glance at her as I slash the dagger across Valora's arm.

"Step out of the way, Azrael. Let me handle her for you. I don't want you to get hurt."

I acquiesce to her desires and move out of the way.

Before I can say anything, Mirmah is behind Valora. She moves way faster than she should be able to. With a sickening crunch, she snaps Valora's neck. My eyes widen. I can't believe Valora is dead. Nor can I accept how dangerous Mirmah really is.

Mirmah takes my hand and kisses me again. "See? I told you."

Then she pulls me towards the back of the ravine.

There, in the pass, a dozen wolves are waiting for us.

My eyes widen. I try to pull out of Mirmah's grip. Is this what Valora meant by a trap? I'm suddenly alert and very, very scared. Mirmah turns to me and sighs. "They won't hurt you if you're with me."She pulls me towards the wolves, and they part, letting me pass with her. They should've ripped us to pieces. Unless she's a mutt and just like them. I shouldn't have come. I tug on her hand, trying to get her to let go.

She doesn't. Instead, her grip tightens as she pulls me to the cave that lies in the back of the ravine. "I wouldn't try and run. They'll tear you to pieces."

Fear swells in my heart. "Mirmah?" I dig my heels into the ground and struggle to pull free.She forces me to walk the last few feet into the cave. Her strength is surprising. I can't break her iron grip. "You said you trusted me, Azrael."

"Not anymore."

"My friends scare you?"

I nod. "They'd scare any sane person."

She laughs and pushes me down onto a bed of pine branches and leaves in the corner. "I don't want you dead for a while longer, so for now, they'll leave you be."

"And my friends?"

"Well..."

Screams startle me, and I try to run for the cave entrance.

"Hold on a moment, love." She grabs my arms and forces me onto my back again. "Unless you want to join them right now, I advise you stay here." Sitting down beside me, she turns my gaze away from the entrance.

Shouts continue to assail my ears as my companions fight the wolves outside.

"You don't really care if they die, anyway. They're competition. They'll kill you if given the opportunity."

"And you won't? I'll live longer if we escape your pack. Are you even really a woman, or are you one of them in disguise?"

She presses her lips to my neck, and I shiver.

"Does it matter?"

"You're hurting my ally and his friend. So yes," I snap, pushing her back.

She laughs and leans in to kiss me again. "Such fire. Yes, I'm one of them. But cooperation would keep you alive a little longer."

"What do you want from me?" Disgust runs through me, and I glare at her.

She smiles. "You... I want your cooperation as I kill you. I'll make it painless. Pleasurable, even.""Why not rip me to shreds like your friends are trying to do to my companions?" I cross my arms. "And what is this place?"

"Because I like you, and I don't want you dead yet. Maybe in a few weeks when I'm tired of your charm and determination. Esmerelda Nohe created us... She gave us this place, knowing that young men are easily lured by empty promises of love and a beautiful woman. You just have to put the right spin to it." She grins, and the look in her dark eyes is feral.

I look away, my eyes filling with tears. "Valora died because I wouldn't believe her."

"You should've listened." She agrees. "But it's too late. You'll die too, so you won't feel regret for long."

I turn on her, my cheeks flushed. "I'm going to kill every one of you."

She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me close. "No, you aren't."

I go to draw a knife, and her cold fingers stop me.

"I'll rip you to pieces." Her eyes glitter.

"I don't care." I manage to draw my weapons and bring it to her throat.

"Oh, Azrael... You could die happily. In peace and comfortably. Why choose this?"

"Because you're a liar and a monster."

She pouts. "Well, Mirmah does mean deception, love."

My fingers tremble as I grab my knife and try to stab her in the heart.

She lunges forward and sinks sharp fangs into the side of my neck.

I yell in agony and drive the knife into her side. Shudders run through my body as her smell wafts towards me. It muddles my thoughts, making me sleepy.

She pulls back, my blood coating her teeth and lips. Her hand grabs the knife and pulls it from her side. Then she takes my belt of knives. Throwing it across the room, she snarls at me. "You shouldn't have done that." Her fingers caress my cheek, but it's no longer an attempt to seduce.

Instead, it's ominous and possessive. She's toying with me, and I don't like it.

"I hear that a lot." I go into my zone and her soporific smell fades away.

The fight begins. I dance in and out of her reach, stabbing and cutting. She rakes her nails across my face, but I continue my assault. The whimpers of the wolves try to push past my barrier. I refuse to allow it to distract me. I lash out and hit home. My knife plunges into her heart, and she yelps. With a snarl, she collapses to the ground.

I turn and run for the entrance.

Cedar is lying on the ground, bleeding. He isn't dead yet, but he will be soon if we don't help him. Ian is fighting off two wolves, and the remaining two are circling Cedar as he struggles to fend them off. One of them leaps, going for his throat.

Then I'm there. He might not be my ally, but I'm not going to just stand there as he's ripped to pieces. I plunge my blade down into the beast's spine. It howls and yelps, falling away from Cedar. I yell and swing the blade in a vicious arc. It catches the second wolf as it springs. My knife tears through its neck, and I crouch, ready for the next wolf. Hot blood drips down my face from where Mirmah raked her nails over my cheek. I watch the other wolf through my dark lashes.

It regards me with hatred. With a growl, it springs for Stockholm again.

I vault out of my crouch and kick the animal away. The kick catches it on the jaw and sends it flying into the stone wall. Gripping the blade tightly, I stalk forward, preparing to take it out. A loud snarl comes from behind me, and I whirl around to find another wolf. It leaps forward.

I hit the stony ground hard and the air is knocked out of me. It tries to take off my head, but its teeth only graze my shoulder as I shove it away. Pushing off the ground, I use my momentum to vault away from the two creatures.

When the one I threw into the rocks lunges, I dodge. Whipping around, I slam my knife into its eye as it rockets past me. The last one crouches and springs. It knocks me to the ground again and goes for my neck. I grab its nose in my hands and clamp its jaw closed. Sweat trickles between my shoulder blades as I struggle with the wolf.

"Ian!" I shout. "I can't hold it much longer."

Ian stares at me in shock. I crane my neck to look over at him. "Ian! I swear, if you let this thing kill me, my ghost will haunt you for the rest of your life."

His eyes widen and he springs into motion just as the wolf forces my fingers open and goes for my throat. Ian's sword comes down on the beast's neck.

Blood sprays all over me, and the thing's head falls onto my chest. I wince and throw it away from me.Ian tugs the wolf's body off me. "I've never seen anyone fight like that."

I frown. "What are you talking about? I fight just like anyone else." I spit out a mouthful of blood and wipe my mouth. My stomach heaves, and I throw up everything I ate for breakfast. It wasn't much, but it's gone now. My legs shake, and I crawl to Cedar.

"You were so fast... Almost like Mirmah when she killed Valora."

I'm shaking all over now, and I can barely put enough pressure to stop the bleeding in Cedar's leg. "Ian, we can't talk about this right now. We need to hide and help Cedar."

Ian nods. "Sorry..."

He grabs Cedar and throws him over a shoulder.

I hiss out in pain as I get up. My leg has some nasty claw marks in it, and I'm bleeding at the side of my neck where Mirmah bit me. Blood trickles from the superficial wound the last wolf gave me. I press my fingers into my neck wound to try and stop the flow. With jerky movements, I pull my shirt off to tie it around the gashes in my leg before grabbing my backpack from the cave. "Be careful with him!" I glare at Ian as he jostles Cedar a little too much. "You'll guarantee his death if you keep that up."Ian nods.

We eventually reach our cave where we're going to hide. Now I have to try and save Cedar. I doubt he'll survive. But I'll do my best to keep him alive. "Now, to see just how bad this wound is."