TASK ONE ENTRIES: THE TRAINING

DISTRICT 1 MALE: AZRAEL THANATOS

I watch the other tributes for a while, making mental notes of what each person excels at. Meanwhile, I occupy my hands with the paints that are laid out at the station I chose. I am accompanied by two other tributes, both of whom are young. I'd guess around thirteen.It sickens me that these children are what I will be up against. Some of them are barely the same age as the youngest in my family. What's worse is that I could and would kill them without hesitating. I'd feel bad about it later, but while I was doing it, I would be thinking about nothing but the kill.Sometimes I wish I hadn't been born a hunter. I kill too easily.I still remember the first time I ever killed someone. I'll never forget the delight that coursed through me when I slit the woman's throat. Nor will I ever forget the pain and self-hatred that followed.After that, I swore to refrain from killing ever again.Now, here I am, and I have to kill or be killed.I won't lose.I will not be one of the casualties, shipped back home in a box for my family to mourn over and bury. I doubt they'll even bother with a proper funeral. There's a good chance that they'll pay someone to do it quietly, and almost no chance that they'll truly mourn my passing."So... Azrael, huh?"I turn to face the young woman who has approached me. She looks open and innocent, but I know better. Everyone here is a danger to me unless I kill them first. I've been approached by a few Careers wanting an alliance, but I turned them down. She's the third one to approach me today, and I already know what she wants.I know this girl though. She's my fellow tribute from District One. We trained separately leading up to today, and I haven't spoken to her much. I don't want allies, to be honest. I'm just going to kill them anyway. However, having them could be advantageous. As long as they think I'm on their side, they could be useful. I can kill them later.I wonder if they know how easily I could do so. Probably. Otherwise, why would they want to ally with me? They're from similar districts to mine, and they know that most of the kids from my district spend all their time training in the hopes of being in my position right now. "Azrael?" The girl waves a hand in front of my face.I snap to attention, tensing up and eyeing her, ready to move if she tries anything. After a moment, I realize that she isn't trying to hurt me. She wouldn't get far anyway because the guards stationed around the training rooms would stop her. "What?""I've heard that you're not making any alliances. Why?""Who cares?""You can't do it alone. Join the Careers, Azrael."Since when are we on a first name basis?"Why?"She eyes me like I've sprouted an extra head. "Are you insane? You need allies, Thanatos. Every one of us does. Anyway, the Careers always ally."Apparently, she doesn't use my first name when she's angry with me. I note it with a wry smile."I'm not a Career." I leave the painting station and head for the herbal one.She follows me. "Are you kidding me? You came from District One. Of course you're a Career.""Think whatever you want, Everest. I'm not a Career. The last thing I wanted was to be here... But now that I am, I'll make the best of it." I start matching herbs with names, and for a few moments she's silent.I wonder if she's left, but when I glance over, she's still standing there."Then what are you, Thanatos?" Her nostrils are flared, and her hands are on her hips."I am whatever I am. Figure it out for yourself." I stare at her. "To you, I'm what you perceive. The truth is my secret to hold."She eyes me for a few moments, then picks up the plants I haven't paired and matches them with names. "There are no secrets in this game, Thanatos. You won't go far alone, either."I smirk. "Who says I'm going it alone?""You won't ally with me or any of the other Careers.""Maybe I'll ally with District Twelve." I point at the female tribute from twelve.She's observing us. I've decided to keep an eye on her because she's far more than she seems. There's something off about her. Something that the other tributes don't notice. Maybe it's because she's from district 12 or because she's quiet, but the others are ignoring her. It's stupid of them.Everest laughs. "With twelve? You're kidding.""Not really... Anyway, I didn't say I wouldn't ally with you. I just won't ally with the other Careers.""Then why ally with me?""You're smart... You know stuff." I glance down at the table.She's put a couple of the herbs with the wrong names. I rearrange them. "It might not be a good idea to mistake water hemlock for elderberry." I point out.She looks down and frowns. "Who cares? We'll have all the food we can need. If we don't, we can kill one of the other tributes to get it."If that's what she thinks, then it's her loss."What if it gets destroyed?" I raise an eyebrow. "You need me, don't you, Everest? That's why you're upset that I haven't said yes."She shrugs. "Need you? No. Do I want you on my side? Definitely."
I nod. "Well, you've got yourself an ally."
"Good. Stop wasting time with the plants, and do something useful."
I narrow my eyes and turn back to the herbal station. "Remember, Everest, you aren't the only one who'll do anything to win."