As he spoke, his finger traced a circle on the garment over the heart, the pressure neither light nor heavy, the gesture slow and almost flirtatious. Su Shiyu held his hand and said with a light laugh, "Does the reason matter that much?"

"Of course, it matters," Chu Mingyun smiled with arched brows. "Qin Zhao thinks you came for Du Yue, but I tend to think not. If not for that, could it be for me?"

"I thought you, Lord Chu, would directly assume the latter," Su Shiyu replied.

Chu Mingyun grasped his hand firmly, looking deep into his eyes, "Answer me."

But he did not know how to answer, for even he was not clear why he had suddenly decided to come alone. After all, not everything in this world has a reason; often, it's a sudden tide of the heart. But saying so, Chu Mingyun would probably not believe.

After a moment of thought, Su Shiyu withdrew his hand and smiled faintly, "It's because of you."

Caught off guard by the response, Chu Mingyun was momentarily stunned.

The warm light of the charcoal fire reflected the smile in his eyes, and Su Shiyu asked in return, "Lord Chu, have you forgotten? Wasn't it you who invited me in front of His Majesty?"

Chu Mingyun came back to his senses and raised his eyebrows slightly, "Of course, I remember. So you mean to say—Mr. Su, you felt lonely in the deep of night and came looking for me?"

The words seemed to carry a double meaning, and Su Shiyu averted his gaze, steering the conversation back on track, "In any case, I've discussed it with His Majesty. After the court session resumes, we'll arrest the Prince of Huainan during the inspection of the feudal states and bring up his case again."

"That's close to what I guessed, but what does it have to do with me?"

"The conclusion of your uncle's case was only to lower the Prince of Huainan's guard, inevitably a bit hasty, and to others, it's full of doubts. The evidence that falsely accused you misled many, and the rumors from Fufeng County have also spread here these days. I'm afraid that in private, everyone now believes you're the real culprit."

Chu Mingyun said indifferently, "So what?"

"Therefore, you'll have to endure the slander for a while, but rest assured, after the Prince of Huainan confesses his crimes, I will certainly proclaim the truth to the world and clear your name."

"You needn't bother; I don't care how others see me," Chu Mingyun said with a carefree smile. "Besides, the most ignorant in the world are these commoners; why bother explaining to them?"

"Even if Lord Chu doesn't care, clearing your name is my responsibility, and I certainly should do it," Su Shiyu said with a light smile.

Chu Mingyun watched him for a moment, then suddenly lowered his head and chuckled softly, no longer speaking.

The snowstorm outside the hall had stopped without notice, and suddenly, a deep bell sound surged over like a tide, one after another, signaling midnight. Firecrackers sounded all at once, filling the sky with red fragments flying about, countless fireworks soared into the ink-black night sky, bursting open with thousands of brilliant star-like sparks, the noise waking up the deep night.

"Hey," Chu Mingyun looked straight outside and suddenly spoke, "Do you want to go out and play with fireworks?"
"Did Lord Chu also prepare fireworks?" Su Shiyu asked.
"I didn't, but Du Yue bought some, and I know where he hid them."
"Aren't you afraid that Du Yue will come looking for you when he wakes up tomorrow?"
"That's easy," Chu Mingyun looked at him and blinked, "Just say we don't know, haven't seen it. Du Yue might not believe me, but he will definitely believe you."
"Why should I help Lord Chu hide it?" Su Shiyu laughed.
Chu Mingyun directly pulled Su Shiyu and headed outside the hall, "Because now you're an accomplice."