Chapter 21

On a clear moonlit night at the Su residence, a few more scoops of incense were added to the beast-shaped incense burner, and thin wisps of blue smoke slowly rose and dispersed. Su Shiyu tightened the silk strings of the paulownia wood zither and casually plucked a few notes, sounding like a gentle stream. Standing in front of the diamond-shaped desk for a moment, he softly sighed, "The night deepens, and the dew grows heavy. You come uninvited; is there something you need?"

Suddenly, there was a rustling noise from outside, and the carved window slowly opened from the outside, revealing a voice with a hint of laughter: "What if I said I came to pick flowers? What would you do then?"

The moonlight slanted across the visitor's temples and fell inside the room, his pale fingers hooked around the window frame, leaning and looking inside with a smile in his eyes.

Su Shiyu walked to the window, silently gazing at him for a long time: "…Why is it you."

"Can't it be me?" Chu Mingyun asked.

"Why didn't you have someone announce your visit in the middle of the night, Lord Chu?" Su Shiyu inquired.

"I wanted to surprise you."

"…" Su Shiyu said, "The clinic is three miles west of here."

"I'm suffering from lovesickness; won't you come and treat me yourself?" Chu Mingyun casually hooked a lock of Su Shiyu's ink-black hair that rested on his shoulder, noticing it was still slightly damp, then raised his eyes to look at Su Shiyu again. He was wearing an overcoat, and the moonlight delicately outlined his slender figure, casting shadows on the collarbone. Chu Mingyun chuckled softly, "It seems I really didn't come at the right time. If I had been earlier, could I have caught you bathing?"

Su Shiyu withdrew his hair from his hand and said indifferently, "Let's talk inside." He paused for a moment, stopping Chu Mingyun, who was about to enter directly, with an air of resignation, "...The door is on the side."

Chu Mingyun glanced at him as if it were a hassle, withdrew his hand, and while pushing the door open to enter the room, he leisurely sighed, "Secret meetings don't usually involve going through the front door. Lord Su, you really have no sense of romance."

Su Shiyu had already put on his overcoat and was pouring tea, saying, "If climbing through windows is considered romantic, then in Lord Chu's eyes, are all burglars unparalleled beauties?"

"Isn't it only you in my eyes?" Chu Mingyun said with a smile.

Su Shiyu handed him a cup of tea, saying, "Let's end the jokes here. What is your business here, Lord Chu?"

Chu Mingyun took the tea and held it carelessly, saying, "I missed you."

"…Let me be frank, Lord Chu, it would be better if you dropped this habit of beating around the bush."

"Can't I just come to see you?" Chu Mingyun countered.

"If that's the case," Su Shiyu paused, then got up to leave, "according to my late father's instructions, my house does not entertain private visitors at night. Though it may be rude, since Lord Chu has already seen me, I will send someone to escort you back to your residence."

"Hey—"

Su Shiyu stopped and turned back with a smile, "Has Lord Chu remembered what he came for?"

It's no wonder this man has not married yet, Chu Mingyun silently sighed, then straightforwardly said, "Do you still remember the house of Song Heng?"

Su Shiyu sat down opposite him, "Of course, I remember. What about it?"

"I've studied that copper talisman for some days without discerning anything. It suddenly occurred to me that with the numerous mechanisms in that house, there might be some clues." Chu Mingyun said, "Would Lord Su be willing to speak to Lu Shi on my behalf and transfer that house from the Ministry of Justice to me?"