Chapter 87

On the twenty-third day, Prince Xiling launched an attack on the outskirts of the capital.

A man dressed as a deputy general knelt in the hall, covered in blood and wounded, an arrow piercing his shoulder. "Forgive me, Your Majesty. The Xiongnu cavalry is fierce, and after a prolonged battle, our forces are depleted. The situation is dire, and it's doubtful we can hold on much longer."

Chu Mingyun, with a contemplative gaze, asked, "Did General Zhou Yi have a message for me?"

"Yes," the deputy general gasped, holding his bleeding shoulder, "General Zhou said, in gratitude for Your Majesty's past favor, he will shield you with his life, fighting to the end. However, considering the current perilous situation, he urges Your Majesty to evacuate and ensure your safety."

Chu Mingyun remained silent.

The seven thousand elite troops in the capital had been reassigned to defend the city, leaving it nearly defenseless. The power-hungry elites, dissatisfied and opportunistic, were plotting. Many within Chu's faction, originally united by common interests, now faced a crumbling alliance. The balance of power was shifting.

It was indeed the look of a failing cause.

Suddenly, the commander of the Imperial Guard rushed in, kneeling hurriedly. "Your Majesty, grave news! Just received an urgent report: General Zhou Yi has fallen in battle, the outskirts breached, and Li Chenghua is approaching Chang'an with ten thousand cavalry!"

The deputy general shuddered. "General Zhou... Is it true?" His voice choked.

Chu Mingyun remained silent.

Qin Zhao also entered the hall, witnessing the scene but choosing not to speak.

"Your Majesty!" The Imperial Guard commander urgently looked to Chu Mingyun. "The Xiongnu forces are fierce; how should we respond?"

"How to respond?" Chu Mingyun cast a cold glance. "What response do you suggest? Do you plan to open the gates and welcome them in?"

The commander bowed, not daring to answer.

Chu Mingyun tossed his sword in front of him. "Defend the city to the death!"

"Yes!" The commander picked up the sword and hastily left. The deputy general, looking back at Chu Mingyun's retreating figure, spoke with concern, "Your Majesty, Li Chenghua's ten thousand iron riders are formidable. Even with the Imperial Guard, we may not withstand..."

"I know," Chu Mingyun raised a hand to his forehead, closing his eyes. "Go and tend to your wounds. Don't worry about the rest."

With a respectful bow, the deputy general reluctantly left. Once they were all out of the hall, Qin Zhao approached.

Chu Mingyun didn't look at him, calmly saying, "You, too, leave."

Qin Zhao hesitated, "Brother, are you..."

"Leaving means survival, doesn't it?" Chu Mingyun's tone lacked emotion, almost monotonous. "Dismiss the Shadow Guards as well."

Qin Zhao stared at him, unable to find words.

Chu Mingyun glanced at him and casually said, "If there's bad news that made you rush in so urgently, what is it?"

Qin Zhao hesitated, then reluctantly uttered, "Li Yanzhen is missing. The Imperial Guards are heading towards the palace."

Chu Mingyun suddenly paused, then burst into laughter. "He's here," he said joyfully, his eyes and brows bending with delight. "He's here, he's here..."

Qin Zhao couldn't bear it any longer. "Brother, Su Shiyu is coming to kill you!"

Chu Mingyun continued to laugh. "Let him come to kill me." His joy remained, and he smiled uncontrollably. "Li Chenghua is nothing. If he wants to kill me, he should do it himself."