Chapter 56

Su Shiyu, the imperial censor, always maintained a commendable routine, but this time, despite waking up as usual, he found himself unable to get out of bed. He felt sore all over, and most of his body was tightly embraced by the person next to him, rendering him immobile. Casting a glance at the suggestive marks on his shoulder and chest, Su silently pulled the quilt further up, ensuring both he and Chu Mingyun were well-covered.

The faint morning light filtered through the window, illuminating the room. Chu Mingyun seemed to be deep in sleep, his head buried in Su Shiyu's shoulder, half of his face hidden in the shadows. His raven-black hair was a disheveled mess in front of his forehead, his eyebrows and eyes serene, and his warm breaths steadily fell on Su's neck.

Su Shiyu turned his head to look at him, silent and focused.

After a while, Chu Mingyun's lips slightly curved upward, "I can't wait any longer, Shiyu." He suddenly spoke in a low voice, eyes still closed, "Have you been looking for so long without intending to kiss me?"

Caught off guard, Su Shiyu froze as Chu Mingyun opened his eyes to meet his gaze, his eyes brimming with laughter, "Then let me do it." He didn't wait for a response before leaning in for a kiss, their lips and tongues entangling passionately, the temperature rising until, during a break for breath, Su promptly pressed against Chu Mingyun's chest.

Chu Mingyun, his tongue lightly grazing over his lips, looked at him with slight dissatisfaction, "What's wrong?"

Su Shiyu caught his breath, "It's time to get up."

"Why the hurry?" Chu Mingyun laughed, his hand slipping to Su's waist and pinching gently, "Does this not hurt anymore?"

At his touch, a tender sensation instantly permeated Su's bones. Su swiftly pulled away his hand, "We need to disembark after entering Huainan territory today. How much longer do you plan to stay?"

"It won't hurt to stay a bit longer." Chu Mingyun grasped his hand in return.

Su Shiyu chuckled softly, "Skipping breakfast then?"

Chu Mingyun, pulling his hand to his face to rub it gently, bit his lip upon hearing this and then turned to stare at Su, his eyes full of affection and laughter, "Su brother, you can come eat me instead."

This scene, with his bare shoulders and neck, and raven hair scattered over his pale, delicate skin, made Su Shiyu turn his face away, taking a deep breath to calm his agitation. He pushed Chu's head gently but firmly, "Get up."

Getting dressed and eating was a bit of a fuss, but fortunately, Chu Mingyun hadn't completely forgotten about the important stuff. He pestered Su Shiyu to play several games of chess with him before settling down quietly in front of a low table, spreading out paper and ink. Su Shiyu, idly tapping on a chess piece, turned to carefully examine Chi's handwriting, sharp and forceful. As he looked over each character, he suddenly realized, "Are you copying a military strategy book by memory?"

"Yep," Chu Mingyun replied, "It's the one I gave to Luo Xin before. I'm writing it down first. If he uses any strategies from it, it'll be easier to check later."

Su Shiyu nodded, continuing to watch him write.

Chu Mingyun dipped his sleeve in ink, glanced at him, and smiled, "Have you read this book?"

"I've seen it before, still have some impressions of it."

"Before?" Chu Mingyun raised an eyebrow, "When you were fifteen and went with your father to campaign against the Xiongnu?"

Su Shiyu slightly narrowed his eyes, responding lightly, "That was the time."

"...Did you ever go to Liangzhou?" Chu Mingyun asked.