Chapter 77

"What happened?" Su Shiyu set aside the testimony, looking at the disheveled guard.

"I'm incompetent, allowed Miss Linglong to be abducted," the guard, nursing his injured shoulder, expressed shame.

Su Shiyu furrowed his brow slightly. "Do you know the identity of the intruder?"

"Yes, he explicitly claimed to be from the Marshal's Mansion. I pursued and indeed entered the Marshal's Mansion," the guard replied.

Su Shiyu paused at the familiar name in the testimony, his frown deepening. The study's door swung open abruptly, and Su Bai rushed in, urgently stating, "Young Master, we've found out!"

Su Shiyu raised his head. "Confirmed everything?"

"Absolutely, Young Master. The threads you instructed to investigate all converge. The evidence is solid," Su Bai gasped for breath. "But it's quite unbelievable when spoken aloud."

"Who is it?"

"Prince Xiling."

"Prince Xiling, Li Chenghua?" Chu Mingyun repeated, then chuckled softly. "His instincts are surprisingly accurate."

"My lord, the leader instructed me to return first to report. He's dealing with Yan Ye's matter and might take some time," the shadow guard said.

Chu Mingyun nodded, gesturing for the guard to withdraw silently. His gaze casually swept over the kneeling girl in the hall, and he spoke with a smile that wasn't quite a smile, "Feeling uneasy at the mention of Prince Xiling?"

Linglong lifted her face, showing a perplexed smile. "Lord Chu, I don't understand your words. I'm only confused about why you brought me here."

"Guess why?"

Linglong thought for a moment, cautiously saying, "I have no ulterior motives towards Lord Su, and he has treated me well. I cannot betray—"

Her words were cut off into a low gasp as a cold sword touched her forehead. Linglong stiffened, not daring to move.

Chu Mingyun, seated above, held the sword with an expressionless face. After a slight movement, the blade broke the snow-white skin, and a cluster of bright red beads rolled down her cheek.

"Mercy, my lord!" Linglong's voice trembled. "I'm just a humble dancer. Even if I serve you, I can't do much. I beg for your mercy!"

Chu Mingyun looked at her without expression, saying nothing.

The silence became eerie. Linglong, terrified, felt cold sweat layering her back. His gaze, like a knife, dissected her thoroughly, making her feel exposed.

As the oppressive atmosphere grew unbearable, just when she was about to struggle for breath, a surprised exclamation came from behind:

"Damn, Chu, what are you doing? So ruthless to women, you're insane!"

Chu Mingyun glanced at Du Yue, sheathed his sword, and turned his frowning gaze back to Linglong. "Why does this face seem inferior to mine? I really don't understand why Shiyu fancies you."

Linglong, bewildered, couldn't answer. Du Yue, who had just sat down nearby, burst into laughter, "So, she's the dancing girl my cousin brought back to the mansion." He raised a teacup with enthusiasm, "Maybe my cousin appreciates her dance? Hey Chu, why don't you also learn to dance? Perhaps my cousin will find you special and keep you as a concubine. You two could be like sisters in the future, hahaha..."

Chu Mingyun gave him a cool look. "Are you itching for trouble?"

Du Yue quickly glanced around. "Qin Zhao is not here," Chu Mingyun coldly extinguished his expectations.