Chapter 2

If the unmarried ladies of Chang'an were to pick their ideal gentleman, the top spot would undoubtedly belong to the current Imperial Censor, Su Shiyu.

Su Shiyu came from a distinguished lineage, with ancestors who were renowned generals. His father, Su Jue, was a minister entrusted by the late emperor, and he himself held a high office, enjoying the emperor's favor. Despite his high status, he carried himself without a hint of arrogance, embodying grace and scholarly elegance in his interactions, always polite and mild-mannered. Consequently, even those who were politely declined in their marriage proposals for their daughters persisted in their desire to have him as a son-in-law, undeterred by rejection.

However, Chu Mingyun always felt that Su Shiyu's politeness was meticulously calibrated to maintain a certain distance from others, appearing mild but actually aloof. He couldn't be bothered to engage with such a person, and thus, despite both serving in court for many years and the ongoing rivalry between their factions, their relationship never progressed beyond a nodding acquaintance.

But now, it seemed, he would inevitably become more involved.

Stepping out of the grand hall, Chu Mingyun spotted the elegant figure of the capital's most sought-after bachelor among the departing officials.

"Lord Su, please wait."

Su Shiyu stopped and turned, asking, "Is there something you need, Lord Chu?"

"Yes." Chu Mingyun approached him. "There's something I've thought about for a long time and feel I must tell you."

"Go ahead."

Chu Mingyun took a deep breath and grasped Su Shiyu's hand beside him. "Are you really willing to listen?"

"There's no question of willingness. If you have something to say, just speak," Su Shiyu said, attempting to withdraw his hand subtly but finding it gripped even tighter. He glanced at the passing officials with a faint smile and continued, "Recently, there have been wild rumors in the capital about Lord Chu's preferences for men. It might be best to avoid any appearance of impropriety."

"You're concerned about appearances?" Chu Mingyun tilted his head, showing a hint of sadness, then quickly brightened up and seized both of Su Shiyu's hands before he could react, raising his voice, "Shiyu, I've been fond of you for a long time."

The footsteps of the officials walking along the palace path wavered at his declaration.

"..." Su Shiyu was momentarily stunned, then responded with his usual gentle smile, "This joke is in poor taste, Lord Chu..."

"Do you not believe me?" Chu Mingyun interrupted, his grip tightening further, his expression earnest, "Heaven and earth as my witness, I wish only to... cough... spend my life with you alone. Would you accept?"

"I'm not willing," Su Shiyu responded sincerely.

"I figured as much, which is why I never dared to reveal my feelings to you before," Chu Mingyun said, unfazed. "But recently, I've come to realize that even if my feelings are unrequited, I must at least try."

"Lord Chu, are you mistaking me for someone else? Our relationship has always been nothing more than that of colleagues. When did it turn into this tragic love story?" Su Shiyu said with a laugh.

Chu Mingyun fixed his gaze on him. "Are you implying that I haven't treated you well enough in the past?"

"That was not my intention. You're reading too much into it," Su Shiyu said, forcefully withdrawing his hand.

"I don't blame you for not believing me now, but I will prove to you in time that my feelings are genuine," Chu Mingyun said, pinching himself inside his sleeve, his words laden with emotion.