Chapter 78

And then, for seven days, there was no sign of Su Shiyu. It wasn't until the end of the travel restriction that Chu Mingyun finally saw him in the court.

Su Shiyu stood on the right, with his usual gentle and reserved demeanor. However, Chu Mingyun couldn't shake the feeling that he appeared slightly thinner, his jawline more defined, and his neck gracefully outlined.

As they left the court, Li Yanzhen stopped Su Shiyu for questioning. Chu Mingyun walked out alone, paused for a moment, and then leaned against the crimson palace wall in silence.

Chang'an city grew colder, with crimson clouds hanging low, slender pine trees, and a light snowfall in the cold wind. Chu Mingyun, seemingly lost in thought, stared into the distance as the snow gently fell on his shoulders.

After an unknown amount of time, Chu Mingyun finally heard familiar footsteps. Before he could turn, a soft voice echoed in the silence, "Brother Su!"

A young girl appeared from somewhere, running towards them, holding a crab-blue umbrella to shield them from the snow. Chu Mingyun furrowed his brow slightly and recognized her as the musician from Xiangyang city.

Without thinking, she turned her head, and Su Shiyu, noticing her peculiar expression, took the umbrella from her and raised it, revealing a snowy field with faint footprints and a water stain on the crimson palace wall, but no one in sight. "What's going on?" he asked.

She hesitated before shaking her head, "Nothing."

Su Shiyu didn't press further and asked, "Why did you suddenly come to the capital?"

"Sir," she lowered her voice, "something happened."

Su Shiyu glanced around and signaled for silence. Only when they reached his residence and entered the study did he, while brushing off the snow on his robe, speak, "You had to come to the capital personally to report, waiting in front of the palace without delay. It seems like a serious matter?"

The girl, Lan Yi, began, "Sir, did His Majesty truly fall into a poison-induced coma not long ago?"

Su Shiyu paused, looking at her, "How did you know?"

"So, it's true?" Lan Yi looked serious. "A few days ago, while staying in Luoyang, I happened to be invited to play the zither at a private banquet. There were only two or three guests, and as they drank more, they forgot to avoid me. I overheard their conversation and learned that the mastermind was none other than the Prime Minister of Hejian, Yuan Min. They discussed His Majesty's poisoning, and it seems like they received secret information that the court suspects the nobles are behind it and plans to send troops to suppress them, completely wiping them out. Sir, you know, since the Enfeoffment Decree, the nobles' power has crumbled, and the legitimate and illegitimate sons are in constant conflict, making them weak. Yuan Min is afraid that this time they will be completely wiped out by the court."

Su Shiyu frowned slightly, "The court has no intention of suppressing the nobles. The information they obtained is likely intentionally spread."

"Also, sir," Lan Yi continued, "it's not just Yuan Min who received the news. Yuan Min mentioned that he came here to inquire on behalf of several fiefdoms commissioned by Hejian. The pressure is immense. If things don't work out, they won't be able to face their lords when they go back."

"Things don't work out?" Su Shiyu's eyes narrowed slightly. "What do they want to happen?"

"I don't know," Lan Yi said. "Yuan Min seemed apprehensive and carefully avoided certain topics."

Su Shiyu pondered for a moment, sighed, and then spoke as he brushed off the snow on his robe, "I will pay more attention to this. Thank you for your efforts."