Chapter 11

Yan Ye followed Qin Zhao into the Grand Commandant's mansion, threading through the vermilion corridors towards the study. Along the way, he marveled at the grandeur of the residence and made a few tentative attempts at conversation. However, the man in black only gave him his back and a few indifferent "hmms," leaving Yan Ye with no choice but to close his mouth in frustration. As they stopped in front of the study, he quickly composed his expression in anticipation of the door slowly opening.

Chu Mingyun was busy marking something on a map when he heard footsteps and looked up to see Yan Ye. "What brings you here?" he asked.

Yan Ye bowed respectfully and replied with a smile, "I heard that you were inquiring about news of Chancellor Chen, and I happened to know a little, so I hurried over to tell you."

Chu Mingyun set down his pen and leaned back in his chair. "Do you know where Chen Xuanwen's family is?"

"I only know a bit," Yan Ye said. "A while ago, I was sent on a diplomatic mission to Lin'an, where I had a small gathering with the local governor. He mentioned that Chancellor Chen had suddenly asked for his help in purchasing a residence outside the city of Lin'an and had moved his family there. Chancellor Chen didn't elaborate on why, and the governor didn't feel it was his place to pry. However, not many days later, that residence mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the night. By the time he sent people over, it was nearly burnt to the ground."

"A fire in the middle of the night?" Chu Mingyun's eyebrows rose slightly.

"Yes. The governor didn't dare to neglect the investigation. He sent people to inspect it several times, but they found no traces of arson. It might have been an accident caused by a candle or something similar inside the house."

"Heh," Chu Mingyun scoffed coldly, "If the arsonist could be so easily discovered, they wouldn't have the audacity to murder Chen Xuanwen's entire family."

Yan Ye felt a cold sweat break out on his forehead at Chu Mingyun's sarcastic tone and avoided looking at him, managing a forced smile, "You are right."

"So, you're saying Chen Xuanwen's entire family was reduced to ashes?"

"That... might not necessarily be the case," Yan Ye hesitated to answer.

"Hm?" Chu Mingyun looked at him intently.

Unable to contain his nervousness, Yan Ye discreetly wiped away his cold sweat and said uneasily, "That... that was just the governor's speculation. I'm merely passing on the message and don't have any clear details myself."

Chu Mingyun laughed softly and asked, "Why are you so afraid of me?"

"How could I be?" Yan Ye chuckled, gathering his courage to continue, "Some say they saw a carriage and horses stop by the house in the middle of the night, appearing to rescue someone. It might have been Chancellor Chen's only grandson, but the night was too dark to see clearly."

Chu Mingyun's gaze became thoughtful as he looked towards Qin Zhao. Understanding the hint, Qin Zhao nodded, planning to send someone to Lin'an after Yan Ye left.

However, Yan Ye, having delivered his message, was not ready to leave just yet. Instead, he smiled and said, "Your concern for Chancellor Chen... is there a specific reason? I may not be very capable, but perhaps I could help alleviate some of your worries."

Chu Mingyun glanced at him, fully aware of his attempt to ingratiate himself, and casually remarked, "It's nothing significant. I just heard that Chancellor Chen's grandson is quite handsome."

Yan Ye, remembering that the man before him shamelessly appreciated male beauty, choked on the words he had prepared, ending up with an awkward laugh.

Chu Mingyun nonchalantly added, "By the way, aren't you afraid of being discovered by Su Shiyu by coming to my mansion like this?"