Chapter 84

On the nineteenth of February, the sky was gloomy, and leaden clouds covered the heavens.

In the courtyard of the General's residence, elite soldiers clad in black armor stood like chess pieces, their posture rigid, long swords at their sides, motionless as if carved from clay. The three thousand Shadow Guards revealed their figures, still shrouded in darkness under the dim daylight.

Crows, accustomed to feasting on carrion, perched on the high walls, their keen eyes fixed on the scene within the courtyard, sensing the scent of blood.

Chu Mingyun entered the hall from an inner chamber, his raven-black hair neatly tied, and his cold features reflected in the dark-colored light armor he wore. Qin Zhao approached a few steps, lowering his eyes as he walked out, "How is the situation in the palace?"

"The Imperial Guards are on alert, everything is normal, and Li Yanzhen is still unconscious."

"What about the Feathered Forest Army?"

"No movement yet, but a large number of skilled soldiers have been dispatched near Jianzhang Palace, ready to respond at any moment," Qin Zhao explained. "The long streets in front of the Vermilion Bird Gate have also been cleared."

Chu Mingyun paused at the door, gazing at the vague shadows outside. "And the Su family?"

"No activity there either," Qin Zhao hesitated for a moment, then continued, "The surveillance reported that after returning home yesterday, Su Shiyu locked himself in the ancestral hall, refusing both food and information."

"He's fasting in the ancestral hall?" Chu Mingyun turned his head to look, and after receiving confirmation, he withdrew his gaze, sighing softly to himself. "Is he planning to starve himself to death to seek revenge on me?" After a pause, he told Qin Zhao, "Send Du Yue to check on him."

"When the news arrived, Du Yue happened to be nearby and has already gone."

"Well," Chu Mingyun chuckled ambiguously, "consider it a rare display of his cleverness."

"Brother, can't you wait a bit longer?" Qin Zhao couldn't help but ask. "You still have injuries."

Chu Mingyun shook his head, smiling softly. "The arrow is already on the string." With that, he pushed open the door.

The hall doors swung open, and he walked out slowly. The Shadow Guards all knelt in unison, uttering in unison, "My lord." Chu Mingyun mounted his horse, his gaze sweeping over the crows fluttering away in fear. He wrapped the reins around his palm, slender fingers resting on the hilt. "Let's go."

The commander of the Imperial Guards personally welcomed them outside the palace gates. Seeing the black-clad riders traversing the empty streets, raising dust in their wake, he bowed deeply in respect.

Chu Mingyun suddenly pulled the reins, the black horse neighed and came to a halt. The guards knelt before him, and he squinted his eyes, gazing at the multitude of palace buildings. He was reminded of his response to his master on Cangwu Mountain all those years ago.

"Of course, I seek revenge. But who do you think my enemy is? The Huns who slaughtered the city on orders, the mastermind behind the invasion, or the officials who abandoned the city and fled? None of them. Following orders, the strong preying on the weak, it's a law, a mistake lies in the weakness of the nation."

"My enemy is this world."

A thunderous roar echoed in the sky, lightning cut through the firmament, illuminating the dark clouds with a pale white light. The accumulated heavy clouds collapsed with a resounding crash, and torrential rain poured down.