Chapter 64

The carriage halted in front of the mansion, and Su Shiyu lifted the curtain with a flick of his hand, glancing at the crimson-gold plaque of the Commandant's Mansion, but he didn't rush to alight.

These days, he had been trying to gather information about Luoxin from various sources, but to no avail. It seemed as if Luoxin had vanished into thin air in Huainan, leaving no trace behind. Just when he was at a loss, Su Bai suddenly brought back news that Commandant Liang Jin claimed to have had contact with Luoxin and wished to invite the official for a discussion tonight.

Liang Jin was naturally one of the officials dispatched by the court after the fall of Prince Huainan and Han Zhongwen. Although Su Shiyu had met him briefly when he went to the capital, they were far from being familiar. However, Liang Jin's abilities were well-known; otherwise, he wouldn't have been entrusted with the important task of managing the military affairs of Jiujiang County. Compared to others, Liang Jin was indeed the most likely to have encountered Luoxin. But if he truly knew something, why didn't he report it to the court earlier, or inform Su Shiyu upon his arrival, instead of waiting until now to remember?

"My Lord, this is the place," Su Bai bent down to lift the curtain.

Su Shiyu snapped out of his thoughts, acknowledged with a nod, and got off the carriage. He then caught sight of Liang Jin hurrying out to greet him, courteously smiling, "My Lord Liang, I hope I haven't kept you waiting."

"Not at all, My Lord Su, please come in," Liang Jin greeted warmly, leading him to the main hall. On the low table in the hall, cups and saucers were already arranged, a beautiful maid stood by with wine, and bronze candlesticks exuded fragrant smoke. It didn't resemble a business meeting at all; it had all the semblance of a feast.

Su Shiyu scanned the surroundings and turned to Liang Jin, asking, "Will there be other guests arriving later, My Lord Liang?"

"Why, no. Tonight, we only invited you, My Lord Su," Liang Jin replied, gesturing for Su Shiyu to take a seat.

"If it's about business, I think the study would be more appropriate," Su Shiyu suggested.

"Oh, that can wait. Let's go to the study later; it's not urgent," Liang Jin said, taking a wine glass. "Since it's the first time I'm inviting My Lord Su, here, I'll toast to you."

Su Shiyu couldn't refuse any further, so he raised his glass and drank it all, saying, "Thank you for your hospitality."

"You're welcome," Liang Jin smiled and took his seat, glancing at the maid.

The maid approached Su Shiyu, bending down to refill his wine. Her slender fingertips slid over the teapot, her demeanor gentle yet subtly charming. Her fair and delicate neck was revealed as her collar loosened slightly with her movements, and inadvertently, it brushed against Su Shiyu's shoulder with a hint of warmth.

Su Shiyu shifted slightly aside, smiling faintly. "Thank you."

The maid looked up at him, lips slightly curved in a smile. She straightened up but didn't step back, and he could distinctly smell the fragrance of her makeup. Suddenly, his mind went blank, lost in a daze.

The maid leaned close to Su Shiyu's ear, her breath fragrant like orchids. "My Lord..."

Dizziness and heat overwhelmed him in an instant. Su Shiyu furrowed his brows and looked at Liang Jin. He saw Liang Jin rising and taking a few steps back, then swiftly restraining Su Bai who seemed about to rush forward. Liang Jin gave a signal, and a group of seductive dancers, all fair-skinned and beautiful, approached Su Shiyu.

Each of them had seductive eyes, and some daringly wrapped their arms around his neck, smiling sweetly. "My Lord..."

Feeling weakened, Su Shiyu struggled to break free. His body stiffened, his mind clouded even more, and his heart pounded fiercely in his chest, his breath becoming unsteady.