Chapter 41

In the waning days of late spring, the fragrant beauty of Chang'an had largely withered away, yet the peach blossoms of Qi Mountain clung to their spring vibrancy, their scarlet petals blooming resplendently like the rosy clouds of dawn.

After a day spent jostling in carriages, everyone arrived at the hunting lodge exhausted, dispersing towards their lodgings with scarcely a glance at the surrounding misty mountains, saving the pleasure for the next day's feast.

Su Shiyu, with courteous gratitude, bid farewell to his colleagues and was about to leave when, on impulse, he glanced sideways and caught the gaze of Chu Mingyun.

Standing alone not far away, leaning casually against a peach tree with his arms crossed, Chu Mingyun's expression was inscrutable, as if lost in thought.

Hesitating for a moment, Su Shiyu approached him with a light smile, asking, "After such a tiring journey, why isn't Chu Daren resting? What's on your mind here?"

Chu Mingyun's eyes, tranquil, watched him approach and then, with a slight smile, said, "I was thinking of you."

Taken aback, Su Shiyu managed a nonchalant smile and replied, "With the Hunnic envoys present, Chu Daren will surely have much to attend to tomorrow. It might be best to rest early."

"I've no desire to rest," Chu Mingyun said, straightening up, his hands falling to his sides. "There's something I haven't figured out yet, and it's keeping me restless."

"What matter could be so pressing?" inquired Su Shiyu.

"Very pressing," Chu Mingyun replied, his voice calm, his gaze intent. "Would Su Daren care to know?"

"I would hear it in detail."

"And if I chose not to tell?" Chu Mingyun's eyes twinkled with amusement as he studied Su Shiyu's reaction before suggesting, "Perhaps if Su Daren accompanied me for a walk, my mood might improve enough to talk, and perhaps then I might feel like resting."

With a resigned chuckle, Su Shiyu agreed, "Very well."

Lu Qinghe, alighting from the carriage, dramatically clutched at her chest, lamenting, "I said I should have ridden on horseback! This journey was nearly the death of me!"

Her maid, smiling, came to assist her, saying, "Traveling by carriage is more leisurely than horseback. You'll get used to it, Miss."

"I have no wish to get used to it," Lu Qinghe declared. "Where's my father?"

"Your father just went to greet an old friend. He'll be back shortly. He specifically instructed us to wait here so that Miss could... take a good look around."

"Take a good look..." Lu Qinghe's voice trailed off in disdain as she surveyed the scene, "What's there to see after such a bumpy ride? All the handsome young men must be worn out by now..."

Her complaint was suddenly cut short.

In the distance, beneath a peach tree, stood a figure, elegant and poised, a smile playing on his lips as he spoke with someone, his eyes brimming with mirth.

Lu Qinghe, her red skirt billowing slightly in the breeze, was like a spring wind awakening, her presence adding to the beauty of the blossoming peach trees.

Leaning on her maid, she couldn't help but exclaim, "He's quite a sight..."

"What's quite a sight?" Lu Shi approached from behind.

"Father," Lu Qinghe turned, "I've made my choice!"

"So quick?" asked Lu Shi. "Who might it be?"

"There!" Lu Qinghe pointed, "I choose him!"