Chapter 23

Given that they needed to investigate the case, the primary focus was naturally Zheng Wan, the Right Assistant Minister of Fengzhou, who was the first victim. Chang'an City was not far from Fengzhou County. Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu were not the types to indulge in extravagance, and since they had no heavy luggage to bring along, they simply handed over their official duties to their subordinates, changed into their regular clothes, and left the city each with a horse, traveling lightly. They made quick progress, passing the rushing waters of the Tangtang River and through the quiet desolate mountains. As night fell, they spotted the silhouette of an inn, estimating they would enter Fengzhou County by the next day.

It was mid-autumn, a time when travelers returned home. The inn was brightly lit and bustling with noise, the server bustling between tables, busy and seemingly happy. Upon seeing the two newcomers, the server hurriedly welcomed them. After hearing that they wanted to stay, he wiped his forehead with the towel over his shoulder and said with some difficulty, "Gentlemen, as you can see, we have many guests today, and there's only one premium room left..." His gaze shifted between Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu, suggesting, "The room is quite spacious. Since both of you are gentlemen, would you mind sharing it?"

Being out meant they were prepared for the possibility of inns being fully booked. Since they would have to face each other all night anyway, did they really have a choice?

The guest room was well-appointed. Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu looked at the bed for a long while, until finally, Chu Mingyun broke the silence, "Forget it, I'll just sleep on the floor tonight."

Su Shiyu frowned slightly, "There's no need to treat me like a lady. We are of equal status; it would be inappropriate for you to sleep on the floor."

Chu Mingyun, sitting at the table and pouring himself a cup of tea, glanced sideways with a half-smile, "As the Imperial Censor responsible for overseeing officials, I've never heard of the need to extend that oversight to the bed. If I don't tell anyone, who would know about such trivial matters?"

Su Shiyu turned to look at him, "The principles of propriety dictate otherwise, even if no one knows, we should not overstep."

"…Why do I feel like there's more to your words?" Chu Mingyun, who usually didn't care much for propriety, retorted.

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"…" Su Shiyu glanced at him, smiled lightly, and said, "You're overthinking it, Lord Chu." He paused, then added, "Regardless of propriety, Lord Chu, you are under suspicion. If another unfortunate death occurs tonight, and I am not here to testify, you might find it troublesome."

Tapping the wooden table lightly, Chu Mingyun leaned his chin on his hand and laughed softly, "Oh? Are you worried I might run off in the middle of the night?" His tone paused, his gaze deepening as he looked at Su Shiyu, his voice lowering softly, "Then you're not worried about what I might do to you in the middle of the night?"

"If Lord Chu truly believes I would let myself be easily handled," Su Shiyu laughed.

Chu Mingyun then looked away, spreading his hands with a somewhat innocent tone, "I'm merely aware of my poor reputation and didn't want to implicate you, Lord Su. It's rare for me to be so considerate, yet you're not appreciative."

Su Shiyu, seemingly agreeing, nodded, then looked up at the ceiling beam with a gentle smile, "Since Lord Chu is sincerely concerned, I won't refuse. However, I must trouble Lord Chu to sleep on top, so I don't accidentally step on you if I get up for tea in the night."

"…Lord Su has a habit of getting up for tea at night?"

Su Shiyu glanced at him with a smile, "Not previously, but who knows about tonight."