Chapter 61

"Nowadays, I am the one managing the affairs of Huainan," Li Che sat down beside the table. "The rebellion of the remnants of the Prince of Huainan had a great impact on my father. Since then, he has hardly intervened here, only occasionally inquiring about it."

As dusk fell, candles were lit in the room, and the maids served bowls, chopsticks, and wine cups before retreating to the side, leaving the four of them to dine face to face.

"By the way," Li Che picked up his chopsticks and after a thought added, "If elder brother wishes to see father, I can arrange it for you."

"There's no need," Su Shiyu said, "I was ordered to come here to investigate the affairs of Huainan. Since the prince has already distanced himself from the turmoil, why bother him?"

Li Che smiled, "Then I'll follow elder brother's wishes."

Chu Mingyun glanced at him and asked bluntly, "What exactly happened during the rebels' uprising?"

"...It was sudden, and actually, I can't explain it very clearly," Han Zhongwen spoke slowly, "That night, a great fire suddenly broke out in the city. I hurriedly sent people to rescue, and then out of nowhere, many elite soldiers appeared. The city was in chaos, and outside the city, their main forces were fiercely attacking. Although I immediately sent troops to resist, we were no match for their internal and external coordination. Countless soldiers in the city were sacrificed, and in the end, we were still defeated. I am ashamed of my failure."

"You should be ashamed," Chu Mingyun looked at him, "And then, how did they disappear overnight?"

Han Zhongwen lowered his eyes, "This... I really don't know."

Watching Chu Mingyun withdraw his gaze and focus on eating, Su Shiyu pondered for a moment and suddenly asked, "Have either of you seen the reinforcements led by Luo Xin?"

"No," Li Che shook his head, "These days I've heard some speculations in Chang'an, and I think that's what they are referring to. Elder brother, I know Luo Xin is someone you value, and it might be hard to accept, but I'm afraid he really has defected."

"I think so too," Han Zhongwen agreed, "After all, Luo Xin was originally a man of the Prince of Huainan."

"It's still too early to conclude. Even if many people say so, speculation is just speculation," Su Shiyu said indifferently, "If speculation alone were enough to prove it, I wouldn't have needed to come to Huainan in person."

"Elder brother is still the same as always," Li Che laughed and after a moment's thought said, "Although Han and I haven't seen Luo Xin, there are soldiers who reported seeing someone entering the city to communicate with the rebels that night."

Su Shiyu slowly ran his fingers over the wine cup, smiling faintly without a word.

Suddenly, there was silence at the table. Li Che hurriedly laughed and raised his wine cup, "Regardless, both of you, as important ministers of the court, have traveled thousands of miles for the affairs within my Xiling sealed nation. On behalf of my father, I toast to you." With that, he tilted his head back and drank the wine in one gulp.

"The crown prince is too polite."

Chu Mingyun casually lifted his cup, but his gaze sharpened slightly. He saw that when Li Che raised his cup, the wide sleeve of his robe slid down, revealing a narrow, dark red scar on his pale arm, "What happened to your arm, crown prince?"

"Oh, this," Li Che adjusted his sleeve to cover the scar, "It's nothing, I just got hurt by accident while hunting."

"Is that so?" Chu Mingyun's eyebrows raised slightly, "It looks more like a sword wound to me."