Chapter 18

Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu were invited upstairs. The room was luxuriously decorated, with pearls used as lamps, bead curtains shining brightly, and delicate maids serving tea and snacks. The leader bowed and said, "Please wait a moment, gentlemen. I'll go notify the master." With that, he closed the door and left.

Chu Mingyun poured himself a cup of tea and joined Su Shiyu by the window to gaze at the night scenery of distant mountains, "What's wrong?"

Su Shiyu glanced at a maid standing nearby, leaned closer to Chu Mingyun, and whispered, "I recognize this place."

Chu Mingyun casually embraced him, pulling him closer, his raven-black hair sliding off his shoulder and lightly brushing Su Shiyu's ear, resembling intimate whispers, "Hmm?"

Su Shiyu frowned slightly and continued, "It's a few miles west of Chang'an, outside among the barren hills and chaotic graves. No wonder no one has discovered it; this valley is actually a mass burial ground."

Chu Mingyun looked into his eyes, raised his cup to Su Shiyu's lips, and murmured, "The gambling house's owner is here. Should we inform the Ministry of Punishment?"

"Just drink it yourself," Su Shiyu pushed his hand away, "You mean there's a way to get the message out?"

Chu Mingyun drank his tea, then laughed, "You refuse even a cup of tea I pour, yet claim no grudges? I've told you, it was just a joke. Are you actually jealous?"

Su Shiyu silently removed Chu Mingyun's arm from around him, unsure how to continue.

Chu Mingyun took his hand again, smiling warmly, "Don't worry, even if there were a thousand Su Shiyus, my dear, you'd still be the one I cherish most."

Su Shiyu, with mixed feelings, responded flatly, "...Really?"

Chu Mingyun sighed theatrically, "If you don't believe me, shall I write a guarantee?" He then asked a maid, "Do you have pen and ink here?"

The maids quickly brought the writing materials, setting them up on the table, waiting for Chu Mingyun's instructions.

"His skin is thin; you all go out and wait. If the leader or your master arrives, remember to notify us first," Chu Mingyun instructed. The maids bowed and left, the youngest stealing a glance at Su Shiyu before closing the door, her cheeks flushing red.

Once they were alone, Su Shiyu said with a faint smile, "Lord Chu truly is brilliant."

Chu Mingyun cut a piece of paper for him, "I feel like you're not exactly praising me."

"Of course, it would be better if there was a way to avoid making us so uncomfortable."

Chu Mingyun looked at him, opening his hand and tilting his head, "Come on, touch it as you like."

Su Shiyu turned to write the letter. Chu Mingyun chuckled, took out a small, transparent green whistle from his sleeve, and blew it silently. Soon, a bird's clear call sounded outside, and a black-feathered bird flew into the room, landing happily on Chu Mingyun's shoulder and chirping at him.

After the ink on the letter dried, Chu Mingyun rolled it up, placed it in a bamboo tube on the bird's leg, and watched as the bird flew away swiftly. He hoped aloud that Lu Shi, the stubborn old man, wouldn't turn away Qin Zhao, his man, on sight.

"Secretary Lu is sensible about important matters," Su Shiyu paused, then asked, "This way of sending messages is..."

Chu Mingyun was about to explain when there was a knock at the door. "A secret technique left by my master," he said before inviting them in.

The carved wooden door opened, revealing a young man introduced as Boss Mu, the owner of Yongle Fang. "Pleased to meet you," he said.

"Pleased to meet you," Chu Mingyun replied with a smile that wasn't quite a smile, "To be so young and in charge of such a large gambling house is truly impressive."