Chapter 17

The man before him stood out distinctly, a slight smile curving beneath his mask, his eyes holding a cool amusement as he leaned against the gambling table, allowing others to gaze upon him with indifference. It was clear to any discerning eye that he was a person of noble standing. Xu Tong suppressed his emotions and asked, "Why do you smile?"

"Heh," Chu Mingyun said leisurely, "I laugh at those who do not know their place, thinking they're lofty when they're merely looking at the sky from the bottom of a well, believing themselves to be dashing."

"What do you mean?"

"It's just that after taking a few glances from afar, you dare to make unfounded comments about the majesty of the imperial family. Winning a few games in this small gambling den, do you really forget who you are?"

Xu Tong glared at him, his voice cold, "I am well aware of who I am. And who are you to appear out of nowhere? What imperial majesty you speak of, as if you understand it so well?"

Chu Mingyun gave him a cool look, "Naturally, I understand much more than you do, for I once accompanied His Majesty..."

"Sir," interrupted Su Shiyu from behind him, at just the right moment.

Chu Mingyun glanced back at him and smiled, "Well, it's not a past worth mentioning."

The leader who was arranging the cards at the gambling table looked up at Chu Mingyun and asked, "May I ask for the esteemed surname of this gentleman?"

"I am surnamed Lin," Chu Mingyun casually replied.

The leader's mind raced, unable to recall such a figure in the capital. Just as he was about to probe further, Xu Tong preempted him, "So, this Mr. Lin holds a distinguished identity. Since you look down upon this humble gambling den, what brings you here?"

The flatterers who had previously been in awe finally snapped back to reality, realizing there was no notable person surnamed Lin among the central officials. Hearing Xu Tong's increasingly assertive tone, they understood that the man might just be posing. They quickly echoed, "Exactly, picking faults right from the start, could it be that your luck is just poor, and you're here to vent with your words?"

Chu Mingyun scoffed, casually wrapping an arm around Su Shiyu's waist and said leisurely with a laugh, "My darling found the capital boring, so I thought to bring him somewhere interesting to play. It turns out this place is nothing special, just full of self-important rabble."

Su Shiyu silently gave Chu Mingyun a look, not recalling ever being told he would assume such a role.

Xu Tong and the others were taken aback by his actions, but Chu Mingyun had already straightened up, still holding Su Shiyu, he gently pinched his chin, and whispered, "You've seen for yourself, this place is quite dull. Why not obediently follow me back for a drink?"

Through their interactions, Chu Mingyun naturally noticed that Su Shiyu was very reluctant to have excessive physical contact with others. However, with so many eyes watching, the act had to be convincing. Fortunately, as a high-ranking official known for his integrity, Su Shiyu managed to keep from flinching despite his stiffness.

The leader behind the gambling table pondered Chu Mingyun's words, guessing him to be a visitor from outside the capital. Observing the young man in white he held, whose face was hidden but whose elegant and distinguished demeanor was unmistakable, he speculated. Such a person being treated as a consort led him to wonder if this might be the son of some prince who had come incognito.

Su Shiyu hesitated for a moment before he could speak, the leader hastily interjected: "Don't hurry away, gentlemen. There's not much interest downstairs, but we have plenty of variety upstairs!"