Chapter 51

The young man traversed the moonlit corridor and entered through the door, respectfully greeting, "Father."

The room was brightly lit by candlelight, with a man sitting alone at the desk, holding a sheepskin scroll filled with Xiongnu script. Hearing the voice, he looked up and smiled, asking, "Has your injury finally healed?"

"Yes," the young man pressed on his ribcage beneath his abdomen, feeling a faint pain, "It's no longer a serious issue. I have been incompetent, burdening you with worry these past months."

"It's nothing," the man said while perusing the scroll, "If your injury hasn't fully healed by tomorrow, don't force yourself."

"Thank you for your concern, Father. I promise not to disappoint you again," the young man said. Seeing that the man had nothing more to add, he hesitated but couldn't help asking, "Also, I dare to ask why since returning, I haven't seen Jingshu…"

"Set off tomorrow, you should rest early tonight," the man interrupted him.

The young man paused, then quietly agreed and quietly withdrew.

As he opened the door, the night wind greeted him, inflating his sleeves. The movements revealed a deep, dark red sword scar on his pale arm.

In the ninth year of Yonghe, during the middle of summer, the Emperor employed the Grand Censor's strategies, issuing a decree of grace that allowed the lords to split their lands among their sons, establishing titles according to fixed protocols, and allocating them to the jurisdiction of the Summer County. Thus began the division of the vassal states, with all sons being made marquesses, gradually weakening the power of the lords.

Upon the issuance of the decree, as expected, the nobility erupted into chaos. The legitimate heirs were dissatisfied while the illegitimate ones were pleased, amidst cries of defiance against ancestral teachings and accusations of great disloyalty. The disputes continued unabated until the King of Xiling stepped forward in strong support, barely managing to implement the policy. However, just when everyone thought matters were proceeding smoothly, a rebellion unexpectedly broke out, not in any of the feudal states, but in Huainan, which had already been taken over by the King of Xiling.
The remnants stirred up trouble, gathering soldiers for the rebellion.

"This sudden appearance and rebellion of the remnants of the King of Huainan truly caught us off guard," Li Yanzheng sighed, handing the document to Su Shiyu, "The royal uncle hasn't managed to fully prepare defenses, and is not very familiar with the Huainan region. Now he's in a total mess and has sent an urgent request over thousands of miles for the court to send military support."
"Even without the prince mentioning it, the court should have sent troops to suppress the rebellion," Su Shiyu said, "Especially since it involves the remnants of the King of Huainan."
"Have you not fully let go of the King of Huainan's case in your heart?" Li Yanzheng asked.
Su Shiyu did not answer directly, merely stating, "I just suddenly feel that, although the rebellion has caused disaster, it also presents an excellent opportunity."
"Opportunity?"

"Yes," Su Shiyu nodded, looking at him and saying, "It's an opportunity for Luoxin, and indeed, an opportunity for Your Majesty as well."

Li Yanzheng was momentarily taken aback, meeting Su Shiyu's deep gaze, and then suddenly understood.

Indeed, to cultivate a leader, one must first allow him to demonstrate his capabilities. Moreover, Luoxin's most criticized aspect was his origin from Huainan. If he could quell the rebellion in one fell swoop, it would not only clear away malicious speculation but also allow him to take control of the troops. From this point on, the authority over the military could gradually be reclaimed back into the hands of the sovereign.