Chapter 59

The curved blade arced coldly like a new moon, slashing through the air with a force that halted Chu Mingyun's rush outward. Gripping his sword tightly, Chu Mingyun cast a chilly gaze over the black-clad assailants closing in once more.

A scream pierced the air as the man blocking the door was swiftly beheaded, his head tumbling to the ground only for onlookers to realize that Chu Mingyun had already closed the distance with terrifying speed, his movements almost invisible. His sole focus was breaking through the encirclement, recklessly cutting down anyone in his path to tear open an escape route.

This was almost an abandonment of defense. A look from one of the assailants signaled the others, who understood immediately, and swung their blades, weaving a net of sword shadows impenetrable to the eye.

In the midst of the flashing blades, Chu Mingyun suddenly halted as a heavy sword brutally sliced into his shoulder. Seemingly unfazed by the pain, he grasped the neck of his attacker and flung him onto the incoming blades of another, the heavy sword grinding against his shoulder bone, blood spilling freely.

Turning around indifferently, Chu Mingyun slid a sandalwood fan from his sleeve into his palm, where it snapped, sending shards of its steel-reinforced spine flying like arrows, piercing throats and sternums. Without sparing another glance, he swung his sword, breaking through the carved door with a thunderous noise. Behind him, blood and flesh scattered, and ahead, wood chips flew as he stepped into the courtyard.

Silence fell over heaven and earth.

The wind had cleared the heavy clouds, revealing the moon, casting a serene light over the scene. Surrounded by fallen bodies and broken swords, stood Su Shiyu in the center, his back to Chu Mingyun, his black hair and white robe untouched by blood, exuding an air of detached coolness. The fleeting gleam of a blade flickered between his elegant fingers, then disappeared back into his sleeve.

Chu Mingyun involuntarily paused, his gaze fixed on Su Shiyu's figure, aware of his own heartbeat still unsteady. Realizing his fingers were trembling, he fell into a sudden silence.

In the turmoil of emotions, the figure before him came from a lineage of distinguished generals, holding a prestigious position in the Great Xia as the Imperial Censor, commanding life and death over thousands, his abilities unfathomable. Yet, the peril they faced seemed trivial in threatening his life.

But to him, this figure was more than that... he was the love of his heart.

It dawned on him, after braving the thin line between life and death, lying amongst corpses for so long, fear could still seize him, morphing into this overwhelming dread.

Su Shiyu, having dealt with the immediate threat, suggested they should hasten back to avoid detection. "It seems they were lying in wait here. Though resolved, it's best we return swiftly to evade further notice," he said, turning to face his companion.

Chu Mingyun, sheathing his sword, wiped the blood from his chin, taking a moment before finally speaking, "...You're more formidable than I imagined."

"What's wrong?" Su Shiyu approached, his gaze shifting from the injury on Chu Mingyun's shoulder to his face, a faint smile breaking through, "Why look like this? Did you think I...?"

"Shut up," Chu Mingyun interjected softly.

Surprised by the interruption, Su Shiyu studied him for a brief moment before gently wiping the blood splattered across his face, his hand feeling the chill of his skin.

Chu Mingyun grabbed his hand, pausing momentarily before pulling him into a tight embrace.

Su Shiyu carefully avoided the wound on Chu Mingyun's shoulder, the strong scent of blood furrowing his brows. Yet, he couldn't help but curve his lips into a smile, reassuringly wrapping his arms around Chu Mingyun, "I'm alright."