Chapter 57

In a desolate stretch along the official road where few tread, a carriage moved slowly, its wheels creaking in solitude. Inside, a woman cradled a sleeping child, her movements gentle as she drew a small blanket from her bundle to cover him. Yet, as she did, the child stirred, blinking awake after a moment of confusion, his voice soft and sticky with sleep, "Mother, haven't we arrived home yet?"

"We're almost there, we'll be entering the city soon," replied Liu Yunzi, smoothing away the hair sticking to the child's forehead with a light laugh. "Isn't grandmother's house nice? Why the rush to return early, Ziming?"

"I miss father," Ziming wriggled out from under the blanket and Liu Yunzi's embrace, sitting beside her, his mood somber. "Father's always so busy, he doesn't spend time with us or let us stay at home. It's been so long since I've seen him."

Liu Yunzi caressed his head, her gaze filled with tenderness, yet she remained silent.

Ziming, head bowed, eyes fixed on the longevity lock hanging from his neck, murmured, "It feels as though father has become a different person."

"How could that be," Liu Yunzi, lowering her eyes, spoke softly, "Your father has always loved us in his heart."

"Mhm," the child nodded vigorously.

Liu Yunzi smiled, though worry shadowed her eyes. As she was about to speak, Ziming tugged at her sleeve, "Mother, I..."

Abruptly, the sound of a horse neighing cut through the air, the carriage coming to a sudden stop. From outside came the coachman's shout, "Madam, be careful!" followed by the thud of heavy objects and the clashing of metal, a chaotic uproar enveloping the carriage.

Liu Yunzi, holding her child tight, yanked aside the curtain to look out. From nowhere, a ragged, disheveled mob appeared, armed mostly with firewood knives or wooden sticks, rushing forward ferociously. The coachman, attempting to stand and block them, was quickly subdued and pinned to the ground by several assailants, leaving the carriage unprotected from the oncoming throng.

"Hold on tight," Liu Yunzi whispered to Ziming, clutching him to her chest as she leapt from the carriage, swiftly turning to shield him. They fell hard to the ground, her body taking the brunt of the impact. She tried to rise immediately, pain shooting through her ankle, rendering her unable to stand.

"Mother..." The child's voice trembled, panic-stricken as he tried to lift her.

"It's alright, don't be afraid," Liu Yunzi reassured, gripping Ziming's hand. She turned to see several individuals rushing into the carriage, frantically stuffing items from a torn bag into their arms, one of them clutching a small blanket and refusing to let go.

Those unable to squeeze inside halted, scanning the surroundings until a crisp ringing sound drew their attention to two figures partially hidden behind the carriage. The longevity lock hanging from the child, crafted from pure silver, shone brightly, its small bell ringing softly.

One of them fixated on the lock, lunging forward to snatch it.

The child screamed in terror.

"Please, don't touch him!" Liu Yunzi shielded the child completely, offering her gold hairpin instead. "Take this."

The attacker paused, meeting her fearless gaze, then scrutinized the disheveled woman more closely. Abruptly, his expression changed, and he turned to shout something indistinct.

Only then did Liu Yunzi notice a woman among them, dressed in worn but relatively tidy clothes, armed with a sword. At the shout, the woman, momentarily taken aback, knocked out the coachman who had grabbed at her leg with the scabbard of her sword and stepped forward decisively.