Chapter 48

In the ninth year of Yonghe, as summer began, all things moved towards their peak, and the shadows in the forest grew dense.

The grand spring hunt concluded hastily, and the emperor returned to Chang'an City. After many days, the subject of the treaty ceding land to the Xiongnu was brought up again during the early morning court session, and there was a noticeable shift in the ministers' attitudes.

All the ministers present argued against forming an alliance, even those who had previously supported Wei Song. They were terrified of being implicated and accused of treason. The scent of blood on the jade steps of the hunting palace had not yet dissipated, leading everyone to speak with resolute tones and firm attitudes. Those left in the court also changed their stance, either vehemently denouncing the Xiongnu or remaining silent.

No one in the court or the country dared to support the treaty anymore.

The emperor's gaze fell to the right, where the returning Imperial Censor stepped forward to bow and said that the Xiongnu's desires were insatiable, likening conceding land to them as akin to trying to put out a fire with kindling. With that simple statement, the general consensus was set.

The Grand Commandant was ordered to reject the Xiongnu delegation, offering them meager gifts to console the prince for his arduous journey before sending them on their way.

Yiwen Jun sat alone behind the tent, sitting on the ground, staring into the distance, lost in thought.

For the first time in over twenty years, he had mustered the courage to enter the king's tent to offer his services, thinking that among his brothers, he was the most fluent in Han language. He had hoped to return from Daxia and earn the admiration of his tribe, only to end up in such a sorry state. His father's reaction was not as severe as he had feared; holding a green jade smoking pipe, he took a deep breath before ordering him to leave, as if one more glance would be too repulsive.

Perhaps his father had never held much hope for him, after all. That Han general was right; he was the least favored, the most useless prince.

Yiwen Jun looked into the distance, where the vast expanse of sky and earth met, the grass bending low under the wind, revealing cattle and sheep. This was a scene that had remained unchanged on the grasslands for thousands of years.

From a young age, he was slender and weak among the Xiongnu, unable to handle a horse, and his archery skills, though existent, were considered useless. He was used to the cold looks from his brothers and being bullied was nothing out of the ordinary.

Back then, he would often hide behind the tents, small and inconspicuous, until one day someone noticed him.

His eldest imperial brother, Yiwen Xiao, leaned in, "Who are you, and why are you here alone?"

"Yiwen Jun," he stood up in a panic, his face streaked with tears, "I'm your ninth brother, but I'm not good at anything... You probably don't remember me."

"I don't," Yiwen Xiao admitted, looking at him, "I didn't expect our Xiongnu could produce someone with such a spirited appearance."

Yiwen Jun stared at him blankly, unsure of what to make of his words. Yiwen Xiao pulled him down to sit together, "I just returned from a victorious battle, and the tribe is celebrating. What are you crying about?"

After Yiwen Jun explained everything, Yiwen Xiao laughed heartily, then said after a while, "What's there to worry about? Your look isn't meant for fighting. Before long, all of Daxia to the south will be ours. You seem clever; if you can't ride a horse, then learn some Han language. When the time comes, you can help me manage those Han people. How about that?"