Chapter 82

On a brisk spring day, seemingly warming unusually fast, even though it was only February, the pear trees in the general's residence were already lush with leaves, adorned with scattered pear blossoms, emitting a faint fragrance. A jade pot of warm wine sat on the stone table under the tree. Chu Mingyun sat at the table, absentmindedly staring into his wine glass.

The maid in green led Su Shiyu into the courtyard, bowed, and retreated. Before Su Shiyu could approach, Chu Mingyun turned his head, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "I was afraid you wouldn't come."

Su Shiyu smiled, taking a seat across from him. "How could I refuse when Lord Chu graciously invites me?"

"Even if I may have ulterior motives?" Chu Mingyun poured wine for him.

Su Shiyu hesitated for a moment, then spoke, "When did A Yue leave the capital for Cangwu Mountain? Why didn't he bid me farewell?"

"You know very well I didn't allow him into the palace. Why ask such a question?" Chu Mingyun gazed at him.

Su Shiyu fell silent for a while and said in a low voice, "Lord Chu, it's not too late to turn back. Why push yourself into a corner?"

Chu Mingyun smiled, a nonchalant curve of his lips, as he poured wine for himself. "You won't even drink the wine I offer, and you expect me to share my concerns with you?"

Su Shiyu sighed, picked up the cup, and drank in resignation.

Chu Mingyun observed him, his gaze lingering on the moistened lips. Suddenly, he chuckled. "You're so straightforward. Aren't you afraid I might have put something in the wine?"

"You're not someone like Liang Jin, are you?" Su Shiyu retorted.

"Of course not that kind of drug." Chu Mingyun leaned in, looking at him with a smile. "But guess, would I use a sleeping potion to make you sleep for ten days or half a month?"

The words, accompanied by a dizzying sensation, entered Su Shiyu's mind. He was momentarily stunned, struggled to stand, and steadied himself on the stone table, looking at Chu Mingyun in disbelief. "Chu Mingyun!" Darkness engulfed him as he lost strength and slumped to the side.

Chu Mingyun lifted him into his arms, a gentle smile on his face. "You've slept so soundly."

He carried Su Shiyu into the bedroom of the residence, laid him on the bed, and patiently tidied his disheveled hair. As he was doing so, hurried footsteps echoed in the quiet courtyard.

"You, surnamed Chu, keep messing with my medicine, thinking you can hide here and not be found—oh!" Du Yue froze upon entering.

Chu Mingyun, sitting by the bed, casually turned his head to look. Strands of black hair intertwined between his fingers.

Du Yue steadied his trembling heart, approached, and said, "What are you doing in broad daylight..." Finally noticing the person on the bed, he paused. "Cousin? What did you do to him, you beast?"

Chu Mingyun shifted his gaze away. "I used your medicine to make him sleep for a while."

"You..." Du Yue stared at Chu Mingyun, and eventually restrained his anger, realizing he couldn't argue with him. "Give me the rest; I collected it with Qin Zhao from the mountains all night, treasuring it."

He leaned over to take a look. "Hey, my cousin looks so good even when he's asleep."

"I used the entire bottle. It's gone," Chu Mingyun replied.

"A whole bottle?" Du Yue widened his eyes, couldn't contain his anger any longer, and pounced on Su Shiyu's wrist, checking his pulse. "I told you not to mess with my stuff. Do you not understand human language? Do you know how potent this medicine is? A whole bottle, aren't you afraid of making him go crazy!"