Chapter 60

Huainan was always a land of wealth and trade, bustling with activity. Even after a rebellion, although many preferred to take detours rather than pass through Shouchun, some traders, driven by profit and convenience, inevitably made their way through the area.

The soldiers guarding the city held their long spears tightly, not daring to relax. They stopped passersby, thoroughly searched them, and then looked cautiously towards their leader for further instructions.

The leader of the guards, leaning against the wall with arms crossed, scrutinized the travelers one more time before nodding his head, allowing them to pass.

With midsummer gone, the heat was still unbearable, making it easy to get distracted. The leader, squinting and bored, was looking into the distance when he suddenly straightened up.

Under the bright sun, the official road outside the city was sparsely populated, shaded like clouds, but at the farthest point of view, a shadow appeared, becoming clearer as it approached. Servants, with swords at their sides, rode horses, guarding two horse-drawn carriages, one after the other. The carriages, grand and imposing, were followed by a long procession, with someone holding up a dark black banner that fluttered in the wind.

The leader, invigorated, pulled a guard over. After receiving instructions, the guard hurried into the city, while the leader, adjusting his armor, quickly went to greet the approaching convoy, "Welcome to Shouchun, Taiwei and Yushi. Our city has been eagerly awaiting your arrival for a long time!"

"Hmm," Su Bai replied, halting his horse at the forefront, "Let's enter the city."

"Hold on, my lord," the leader said with a smile to the young man before him. "Our prefect has a rule: everyone must be inspected before entering the city. I must follow the rules."

Su Bai stiffened, turning his head to look at the carriages, feeling even more guilty.

After all, both carriages were empty.

A few days ago, he received a message from the young master, informing him of their arrival in the city. However, that was all he knew, as he couldn't make further contact. As the journey neared its end day by day, he had no choice but to head towards Shouchun, hoping the young master would appear out of the blue, preferably landing directly into the carriage, sparing him further anxiety and fear.

Yet, as they were now being stopped for inspection, he wondered why the young master had chosen such a late moment to arrive.

The leader, seeing Su Bai not responding for a long time, signaled the guards with a glance. The guards, understanding, stepped forward.

Su Bai suddenly turned around and shouted, "How dare you!"

The guards stopped in their tracks, hesitating to move further.

"This gentleman..."

"Do you even realize whose carriage this is, to dare such bold offense?!" Su Bai raised his voice.

"Of course, we do," the leader replied with a smile. "Please, no offense meant, sir. We're just following the rules. You know how it is here; caution is always best. It's for the good of the two gentlemen in the carriage."

"We are here on imperial orders. What could possibly be wrong?" Su Bai stood his ground. "Moreover, who are the two gentlemen in the carriage, for you to deem it within your right to inspect?"

"This..."

"Do I have the authority, then?"

A voice suddenly broke the silence, and the guards made way as a man rode forward, smiling. "I thought we had another noble visitor. Turns out it's just a servant from the Imperial Censor's side."