Chapter 53

The court dispatched 7,000 soldiers to quell the rebellion in Huainan, but now, without a trace of battle, their whereabouts have vanished into thin air, along with the rebels. In an instant, countless speculations swirled in everyone's minds, but only one guess flickered through the unfathomable haze, gradually becoming clear, as if crying out to be acknowledged.

"Luo Xin has betrayed us!"

In the hall, this statement was made with absolute certainty. Yue Yuxuan stepped forward, continuing, "Your Majesty, it couldn't be more obvious. Our Great Xia's army is well-trained, always moving at the sight of the tiger talisman. If it wasn't for the person holding the tiger talisman giving orders, how could the entire army disappear?"

The officials mostly nodded in agreement. Lu Shi concurred, "Indeed, even if it was a night raid, with more than 7,000 men, there should be some survivors. Not to mention the rebels, their disappearance is truly baffling."

"If it was Luo Xin's betrayal, then there's nothing baffling about it," Yue Yuxuan said. "His efforts to disguise himself during his days in Chang'an might have been to gain trust, so as to steal secrets and the army for the Huainan rebels."

Several ministers couldn't help but say, "We've long said he's the remnant of the Huainan King, bringing him back was like inviting a wolf into the house!"

"Exactly, and our Ministry of War is full of military secrets, who knows how much he learned. Once in the hands of the rebels, the consequences would be unimaginable!"

"How can everyone be so sure of Luo Xin's betrayal?" the vice-minister of the Ministry of War, Xu Yin, suddenly spoke up, his tone neither warm nor cold, but suggesting something.

Su Shiyu looked on indifferently, without a ripple in his demeanor, not uttering a word.

Several officials from Su's faction hurriedly defended him, "Your Majesty, please see clearly, Luo Xin's demeanor is indeed beguiling, and Su Sir was merely deceived!"

A Chu faction official sneered, "A man of Su Sir's stature, could he be as easily misled as us?"

"What do you mean by that?" Lu Shi, greatly displeased, raised his voice, "Are you suggesting Su Sir intentionally allowed Luo Xin into the court? Or even that Su Sir is also responsible for Luo Xin's actions?"

"Lu Sir, please calm down," Xu Yin said, turning to Chu Mingyun, "When it comes to military matters, no one in this court knows better than Chu Sir. I wonder what Chu Sir thinks?"

His words were cleverly thrown, and although the two factions were at odds, Su's faction was clearly at a disadvantage with Su Shiyu remaining silent. Just one word of suppression from Chu Mingyun would leave Su's faction powerless to resist.

Yet, upon hearing this, Chu Mingyun furrowed his brows and glanced away impatiently, "I chose the people for the expedition. What do you think I would think?"

Xu Yin's expression changed, unable to respond, he could only awkwardly retreat to his place.

Unable to grasp the attitudes of these two faction leaders, no official dared to speak out again. The previously heated debate in the hall quieted in an instant, the scent of incense from the imperial burner silently wafting through the air.

Li Yanzhen sat in the seat of honor, scanning the room with a headache. After a long silence, he finally spoke to break the deadlock, "Minister Xu's words make sense. Minister Chu, please share your thoughts."

"I have no particular opinion," Chu Mingyun said bluntly, seeing the puzzled looks around him, he continued, "No one knows the actual situation in Huainan. Instead of wasting effort arguing and guessing, it's better to make a quick decision and respond."