Chapter 31

After having their fill, Mula excitedly dragged them through the streets and alleys, as if intending to roam through all of Chang'an.

In this part of the street, there were many performers attracting passersby to form a circle and watch, with continuous shouts and cheers. Mula squeezed in with a turn of her feet, only to see a heavy stone slab laid out in the center of the space. A burly man rubbed his hands and stretched his arms, then took a horse stance, shouted low, and chopped down with his hand, causing the stone slab to emit a dull sound and split into pieces.

The surrounding crowd cheered loudly, and Mula also shouted in excitement, pushing through the people in front to move forward, only to be pulled back by Su Shiyu, "What are you going in for?"

Mula said excitedly, "He looks like he has impressive martial arts skills! I want to go and compare with him!"

"People perform to make a living; if you go up to compete, it will cause trouble for him."

Mula's enthusiasm deflated, "I see, but I really want to try."

Su Shiyu's gaze fell on Chu Mingyun, who was quietly unwrapping a bag of sugar cakes that Mula had just bought. As he popped a piece into his mouth and looked up, he said, "Hmm?"

Su Shiyu chuckled softly, pointed at Chu Mingyun, and said to Mula, "Don't worry, he can do the same feat."

Chu Mingyun glanced at the shattered stone slab on the ground, realizing that he could indeed do it, and even more beautifully than the strong man just now.

With numerous street performances, every time Mula wanted to rush in to find out more, Su Shiyu would calmly inform him, "He can do it too."

Thanks to the Imperial Censor, it was only today that Chu Taiwei realized how talented he actually was.

Chu Mingyun, who had been silently eating his sugar cake, finally couldn't stand it anymore when he saw what was ahead. He pulled Mula to a jewelry stall and said, "Take a look, I'll buy it for you." After speaking, he turned to meet Su Shiyu's gaze and sighed deeply, "That... I really can't do."

Su Shiyu turned around, and through the bustling crowd, he vaguely saw a performer swallowing swords and breathing fire. He then looked back at Chu Mingyun's helpless expression and couldn't help but laugh, his eyes gentle amidst the worldly noise.

Something in his chest seemed to leap suddenly, and Chu Mingyun looked at him carefully, picked a jade hairpin from the stall, and said with a dandy's laugh, "Come, beauty, let the young master also give you one, how about you accept me?"

Su Shiyu blocked his hand and said with a light smile, "Young master, your appearance is exceptional, this jade hairpin suits you better."

"Alright," Chu Mingyun agreed readily, "then you put it on for me, I'll accept you too."

The stall owner, a young lady with a blushing face, hesitated for a while before saying, "Young masters... the items I sell here are all for ladies."

Chu Mingyun shrugged and put down the item, while Su Shiyu shook his head with a smile. Suddenly, he caught Mula's twinkling eyes, "What's wrong?"

Mula averted her gaze and said with a sly smile, "I'll tell An Yino later."

By noon, the three of them found an inn to rest and have a meal. Mula was excitedly unpacking the things she bought, while Chu Mingyun casually helped her unwrap the food packages, and Su Shiyu quietly watched them.

Suddenly, the conversation at the tables behind them grew louder.

"Brother, that's a court-appointed official you're talking about. You should be careful with your words. Are you trying to fool us without any proof?"