Chapter 22

As the White Dew passed, signifying the onset of autumn, the migratory geese headed southward, and a cooler breeze settled in, carrying with it a tangible sense of autumnal foreboding. For several days, the sky remained overcast, casting a somber shadow both above and within the hearts of the people.

Throughout the city of Chang'an, there was an atmosphere of unease. Barely a month had passed since the tragic murder of the official Zheng Wuan in his own home in Youfufeng, yet now, four more officials from surrounding counties had met untimely deaths, sending shockwaves through the court and the populace alike. Investigations revealed striking similarities in the methods employed in these five cases, suggesting a coordinated effort behind the murders. This realization prompted Li Yanzhen to take action.

The killing of officials was already a brazen affront to authority, but the repeated occurrences in the vicinity of the capital amounted to a direct challenge to Chang'an's security and the authority of the imperial throne.

Security measures at Chang'an's checkpoints had been heightened, patrols within the city intensified, and teahouses abuzz with rumors and speculation. Nearly every notable figure had become the subject of malicious gossip, with some even clandestinely betting on who would be the next victim.

With the case now under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Censorate at the Emperor's decree, Li Yanzhen had ordered the Grand Censor to personally oversee the investigation, emphasizing the need for thorough cooperation and diligence.

Within the halls of the Imperial Censorate, candles burned late into the night as suspects and evidence were continually brought in from various locations. Officials at all levels were kept tirelessly busy, and after days of effort, progress was finally made, prompting an immediate report to the Grand Censor.

Upon reviewing the report, Su Shiyu, tasked with this solemn duty, offered a gentle smile and words of appreciation to his colleagues. "You have all labored diligently in these trying times. Rushing through an investigation would have been unwise. Tomorrow, take the opportunity to rest and recuperate."

The Imperial Censors were left dumbfounded, exchanging bewildered looks, unsure of how to proceed. From esteemed courtiers to common folk, all eyes had been fixed on the Imperial Censorate. The urgency of the matter could not be overstated, especially with the Emperor's decree at stake. Who would dare to depart?

It then dawned on them that their Grand Censor had indeed departed.

Su Shiyu was playing chess alone in the study, tapping the pieces leisurely while focusing intently on the chessboard.

"Master!" Su Bai rushed in hurriedly.

Su Shiyu glanced at him distractedly and said, "You forgot to knock again."

"Hehe, I remembered this time. My father isn't here," Su Bai approached and said, "Master, aren't you going to the Imperial Censorate today? Several officials have sent messengers already, it's been only a short while."

"What did they say?" Su Shiyu inquired.

"They mostly asked if you were available and mentioned that the case is urgent. Even if it's your day off, they expect at least a response, or else the censors won't have any leads to follow," Su Bai explained.

Su Shiyu's gaze remained fixed on the chessboard, holding a smooth white piece between his fingers, lost in thought without speaking.

"Master?" Su Bai tentatively raised his voice.

"I heard," Su Shiyu finally spoke, still not lifting his eyes after making a move on the board. He then picked up a black piece and examined the game. "I've reviewed their reports and evidence. The current clues all point to that Lord General, and if they want to investigate, it's just a matter of two or three days. They're not clueless, but rather hesitant to act without my permission. Why the rush?"