Chapter 8

Cracks spread from a single point across the stone wall, culminating in a loud rumble as the stones crumbled away to reveal a narrow, dark passage. Su Shiyu withdrew his hand, a glint of cold light flickering between his fingers before disappearing back into his sleeve. It was enough for Chu Mingyun to catch a glimpse of a short sword hidden within.

No wonder Su Shiyu had nonchalantly broken his fan earlier; he had his own weapons on him.

Taking a candle from the wall, Su Shiyu gestured for Chu Mingyun to get up.

As Chu Mingyun tried moving his shoulders and stood up, he couldn't help but admire Su Shiyu's exceptional bandaging skills. His gaze lingered on Su Shiyu's sleeve before he suddenly said, "With your inner strength, you couldn't have failed to notice the guard hiding around the corner, right?"

Su Shiyu smiled and candidly replied, "Yes."

"So, what was your game in not exposing him right away?"

Su Shiyu shook his head. "Talking about it now is pointless. There's no need to bring it up again."

His rare use of force made it difficult for Chu Mingyun to gauge his martial arts skills, and his adeptness in evasive conversation made him a tough nut to crack. Chu Mingyun thought for a moment and then said, "It's boring just walking. How about we chat, Su Shiyu?"

Unperturbed by his attempt at making conversation, Su Shiyu examined the passage lit by the candlelight, ignoring the notion of road boredom.

Chu Mingyun leaned against the stone wall, clutching his shoulder. "Ah... the wound really hurts."

Su Shiyu turned to look at him leisurely from head to toe before saying, "Are you hinting that I should come over and hold you?"

"That won't be necessary," Chu Mingyun replied. "Just keep me company with a chat." He quickly added before Su Shiyu could respond, "It might distract me enough to not feel the pain as much."

"What do you think we could talk about?" Su Shiyu asked, looking at him.

Chu Mingyun smiled and suggested, "How about we take turns asking each other questions?"

Su Shiyu sighed. "What's the point if one doesn't tell the truth?"

"It's just to kill time," Chu Mingyun said, moving closer and speaking softly. "Whether or not you can discern the truth is up to you. Besides, if someone lies, doesn't that in itself reveal they're avoiding the question?" His eyes twinkled with a mix of genuine and playful intent as he stared at Su Shiyu.

Su Shiyu sighed again, resignedly, and stepped into the passage. "Ask away then."

Catching up, Chu Mingyun said, "Su Shiyu, you appear scholarly, yet you hide your talents well. If you carry a hidden sword with you, why has no one ever heard of your martial skills?"

The flickering candlelight barely illuminated the stone path beneath their feet, filling the narrow space with their subdued voices. They stood so close that Su Shiyu could almost feel the warm breath of the person behind him. Uncomfortably, he turned his head away before speaking, "It's not as complicated as you think, just a habit formed over the years."

"I went to war with my father when I was fifteen," Su Shiyu said.

Chu Mingyun looked at him in surprise, noticing a hint of nostalgia and an indescribable complexity on Su Shiyu's face. However, in the dim light of the passage, his expression was fleeting and hard to discern clearly.

Su Shiyu continued in a light tone, "After that, he strictly forbade me from engaging in fights, wanting me to be a scholar. Back then, Chang'an was not as peaceful as it is now, and being young and impulsive, I often ended up in scuffles. My father made me wear white clothes to keep me in check, and every time I was caught, I had to kneel in the ancestral hall as punishment. After kneeling so often, I learned to hide my sleeve sword and avoid leaving any trace for him to discover, thus escaping many punishments."