Chapter 3

In the tavern, the songstress's voice was soft and gentle, drifting vaguely into the upstairs attic, a pity that the two men there had no taste for such refinements at the moment, uninterested in listening closely.

Chu Mingyun impatiently fanned himself with a gold-sprinkled fan a few times before finally resting it on the table, breaking the silence, "Six years apart, and instead of visiting my residence, you choose to meet in a tavern. What the hell is Du Yue up to?" He idly spun a white porcelain cup on his fingertips, turning to Qin Zhao beside him, "Can his thick-skulled brain even navigate the streets of the capital?"

Qin Zhao, unusually, didn't argue with the description, replying coldly, "He didn't come to us first upon arriving in the capital; he went straight to his cousin. His cousin will surely accompany him here later. How could he not find his way?"

Chu Mingyun couldn't help but scrutinize Qin Zhao's expression. Although it remained as impassive as ever, the tightness of his lips was enough for Chu to sense a hint of tension.

Six years ago, when he bid farewell to his master and left Cangwu Mountain, he never expected his junior brother to insist on following him. Chu Mingyun had always believed that whether it was hatred or ambition, it was his own affair; he never mentioned it, nor did he want others to interfere.

But Qin Zhao, cold on the outside and warm on the inside, knew nothing yet packed up and stood at his door at dawn, ready to descend the mountain with him. Without a word, and impossible to shake off. It wasn't until Chu Mingyun was about to lose his temper that Qin Zhao finally spoke softly, "Senior brother, master said this path is too hard for you."

And so, Qin Zhao followed him. From the battlefields beyond the frontier to the golden halls of the dynasty, step by step he climbed over bones and spirits, becoming the highly sought-after Grand Commandant, the controversial sycophant.

Chu Mingyun had truly not expected this, especially since Qin Zhao had someone he cared for back on Cangwu Mountain.

Indulging in whims, taking the blame and punishment, Qin Zhao pampered with cautious affection, while Du Yue remained blissfully unaware, only Chu Mingyun, an observer, saw it clearly.

Over the years, Qin Zhao had only taken the opportunity to visit occasionally. However, recently, Du Yue's master passed away, and he had sent word that he would come to Chang'an to find them once he had dealt with the aftermath. In these past few days, Chu Mingyun had noticed Qin Zhao occasionally lost in thought, and now it seemed he was getting cold feet as he neared home.

Oh, and perhaps there was a strong hint of jealousy too.

Chu Mingyun's interest was piqued, and he set down his cup with a meaningful "Oh," "Is it that cousin he always talks about? The one who greets everyone with a smile, gentle and refined, with a face like jade, extraordinarily intelligent, skilled in both music and literature, a marvel to behold?" He laughed mockingly, "I always thought he was just stringing together every complimentary word he knew."

Qin Zhao glanced at him but didn't respond.

Chu Mingyun, somewhat taking pleasure in Qin Zhao's discomfort, laughed until Qin Zhao's face turned visibly darker, barely holding back. He tapped Qin Zhao's shoulder with his folded fan, casually saying, "Meeting him might just be the thing. Half of the capital is in my hands now, and you are the leader of my three thousand shadow guards. Are you afraid of losing to him?"

Qin Zhao's expression softened slightly, and he grunted in acknowledgment but said no more.

Before long, Du Yue arrived, his cheerful "This is the place" accompanying the sound of the door being pushed open. The ornately carved door swung wide, and in the moment of their face-to-face encounter, everyone but Du Yue was taken aback.