Chapter 7

Chu Mingyun released Su Shiyu and immediately pulled out the arrow, tossing it aside. His complexion had turned slightly pale, and apart from furrowing his brows, he showed no other expression. Glancing at the spreading crimson stain on his shoulder, he commented, "It's fine, the arrow wasn't poisoned." He then applied pressure to stop the bleeding and sighed deeply, saying in a low voice, "It seems that some things really shouldn't be said carelessly. Just after claiming I could take it, now I indeed have to use my flesh and blood to shield you."

"However, since there's a mechanism, it at least proves we're on the right path." Chu Mingyun glanced at the arrows littering the ground. No one responded, and he suddenly realized that Su Shiyu hadn't paid any attention to his long speech, prompting him to look over with confusion.

Su Shiyu was shifting his gaze away from the mechanism and stepping back onto the stone slab that had sunk down, reaching out to touch the oil lamp. Chu Mingyun grabbed his hand and pushed him back, his tone laced with irritation, "Are you touching it again?"

Su Shiyu cast a complex glance at him, gently freeing himself from his grasp before pulling him in front. With careful movements to avoid the wound on Chu Mingyun's shoulder, Su Shiyu shielded him completely with his own body. His hand rested on Chu Mingyun's uninjured shoulder, offering warm reassurance, "Don't worry."

Chu Mingyun was momentarily uncertain whether Su Shiyu's assurance meant he would take another arrow for him or if he truly had a plan.

Then, with no further hindrance, Su Shiyu grasped the bronze lantern. With a slight effort, the lantern began to turn slowly, its mechanism producing a muffled sound. The stone walls on both sides activated, revealing a narrow path on one side of the corridor.

Stepping back, Su Shiyu inquired about Chu Mingyun's shoulder, "How is your wound?"

Chu Mingyun let out a cold laugh, "Won't kill me."

With that, Su Shiyu didn't press further but looked ahead, "In your opinion, Lord Chu, which way should we go?"

Chu Mingyun walked ahead, pulling out an arrow to examine its tip, "Don't know."

Su Shiyu sighed, a helpless smile on his face, "Lord Chu..."

Chu Mingyun suddenly turned and hurled the arrow. The fletching cut through the air, and the arrowhead, with force, buried deep into the stone wall around the corner. "Just ask, and we'll know," he said to Su Shiyu, then coldly called out to the corner, "Come out."

There was a rustling sound from around the corner, and suddenly a figure dashed out, moving so fast towards them that it almost appeared as a blur. Chu Mingyun stood unmoved until the figure was almost upon them, then swiftly raised his hand, fingers poised, breaking through the attacker's momentum and gripping his neck to pin him against the wall.

Su Shiyu had been watching calmly until he saw Chu Mingyun's swift action. His pupils dilated, he turned his head and closed his eyes as if enduring something, before reopening them and turning back, his face regaining its usual slight smile.

The attacker was clearly one of the earlier guards, his face still showing signs of the blue poison. Strangled by Chu Mingyun, his breathing was labored, his face turning even redder, a sight somewhat terrifying at first glance. The guard's martial arts were above average, likely trying to escape after not being deeply poisoned, taking advantage of the chaos of flying arrows to sneak behind them, thinking he wouldn't be noticed.

"Do you know the way?" Chu Mingyun asked.

The guard glared at him with bloodshot eyes.

"Tch." Chu Mingyun increased the pressure in his grip, his laugh cold, "Didn't expect you to be so reckless. Well, then I won't be polite."