Chapter 10

Overnight, the city of Chang'an became a tad livelier.

The young emperor of the Great Xia, Li Yanzheng, had ascended to the throne eight years prior. The turmoil with the Xiongnu had been quelled long ago, and nations no longer interfered with one another. The hardships brought by the disasters of the past years had been endured, and it seemed the world was finally living up to its peaceful and harmonious era's name, gradually revealing a time of tranquility. Having attended to the affairs of the world, Li Yanzheng then turned his attention to his personal interests.

The lineage of the previous emperor was scant, with his promising heirs passing away at a young age, leaving Li Yanzheng to ascend the throne before his coming-of-age ceremony. At that time, with the Xiongnu frequently causing disturbances and the political situation unstable, the concubines who served in the palace were hurriedly chosen from among the noble families: dignified ladies, quiet and proper, but utterly boring. And Li Yanzheng, with his refined taste for poetry, music, and dance, found himself without a soul to share his appreciation for the arts. Although there were ministers with unparalleled literary talents, whenever he brought up his interest, the unanimous response from the court officials and the harem was, "Your Majesty, state affairs must come first."

How heartbreaking that was.

On this particular day, after all affairs were reported in the Golden Hall, Li Yanzheng's gaze intentionally fell on Su Shiyu. He delicately suggested selecting some clever women to accompany his cultured lifestyle.

With a gentle smile and eyes lowered, Su Shiyu responded, "This is a matter for the royal palace. Why should Your Majesty concern yourself with asking us?"

Chu Mingyun cast a sidelong glance, vividly recalling who it was that had gently furrowed their brows and dissuaded the selection process years ago with kind and earnest words, persuading Li Yanzheng to indeed not dare to broach the subject for many years.

The advice boiled down to: "You are still young, focus on cultivating your character; state affairs are paramount, please wait a bit longer."

Back then, Chu Mingyun and Qin Zhao casually discussed this, shaking their heads in lament, "He hasn't started a family yet insists on others cultivating their character as well. The day he resigns from his position as the Imperial Censor, he probably plans to retreat and cultivate in seclusion."

Qin Zhao, with a slumped face, paid him no heed.

Regardless, the selection was decided upon, to choose virtuous ladies from across the land to come to the capital for the emperor's selection.

Within just a few days, many caravans entered the city, and daughters of officials in the capital were nervously preparing, while nobles from distant territories also sent many beauties. Tea houses and taverns were abuzz with idle chatter, extensively discussing and critiquing the women selected, with a fervor far exceeding that of arranging their own marriages.

This atmosphere was indeed contagious, even Qin Zhao couldn't stand to just watch from the sidelines anymore and went to the study to bring up the matter with Chu Mingyun proactively.

Chu Mingyun slowly lifted his gaze to him, "Are you envious?"

Qin Zhao, with a stiff face, replied, "With so many officials eagerly sending women into the palace, do you not understand their intentions?"

Chu Mingyun twirled a grape, vibrant and dewy, between his fingers, offering, "Want a taste?"

"Senior Brother," Qin Zhao couldn't help but speak up, "We missed his ascension to the throne since we hadn't yet entered the court, but are you really planning to let go of this opportunity now?"