Chapter 20

Chen Siheng, with a desperation tinged in his demeanor, wielded his dagger that gleamed sharply and fiercely aimed it towards Chu Mingyun.

As Chu Mingyun turned around, he effortlessly caught Chen Siheng's hand and flung him away. Chen Siheng fell hard to the ground, his dagger flying out of his grip. Without a glance at his fallen weapon, he rose and charged again, swinging his arms wildly without technique, managing to forcefully rip apart Chu Mingyun's hairband, causing his raven-black hair to scatter over his shoulders.

Chu Mingyun, running out of patience, flipped Chen Siheng to the ground and stepped on his shoulder, pinning him down and rendering him immobile. "What the hell are you trying?" Chu Mingyun scrutinized him.

With eyes reddened, Chen Siheng's voice was almost a roar, "You killed her! You killed her!"

Chu Mingyun scoffed, "Oh? You've been enchanted by a pretty woman before you've even grown up?"

"She saved me! Only she did!" Tears streamed down Chen Siheng's face as he continued, "You claim to be my grandfather's colleagues, claiming justice for me. But where were you when my family was ruined, and I was left alone? Only she was there! She was the only one who rescued me from the blaze!"

"If she hadn't been the cause of your family's ruin, would there have been a need for her to rescue you?" Chu Mingyun coldly retorted.

"You're talking nonsense!" Chen Siheng glared at him, "I don't believe a word you say!"

Su Shiyu approached, looked down at him, and asked, "You just said that Miss Jing Shu rescued you from the fire, didn't you?"

"Yes!"

"Do you remember what you told me at Hongxiu Zhao?" Su Shiyu pressed on.

Chen Siheng was momentarily speechless.

Su Shiyu slowly continued, "She said, you escaped from the mansion on your own and then fainted in front of her carriage." He looked down at Chen Siheng, adding, "You know there's something wrong with Miss Jing Shu, don't you?"

Chen Siheng remained silent.

"Are you deliberately ignoring and avoiding these things because you're afraid that once they're acknowledged, you'll have nothing to lean on?" The man's voice was gentle, each word shattering the self-deception Chen Siheng clung to for breath.

Closing his eyes, Chen Siheng lay on the ground, drained of all strength, as clear tears slid down his pale cheeks to the ground.

Chu Mingyun looked down at him, then suddenly spoke, "Another thing, when did we ever say we would make decisions for you?"

Chen Siheng opened his eyes, staring at him blankly.

"How old are you, kid?" asked Chu Mingyun.

"Fifteen."

"Fifteen...?" Chu Mingyun leaned forward slightly, looking into Chen Siheng's eyes. His loose hair hid his expression, and Su Shiyu could only see his eyes, bright and clear in the dawn light, his voice smooth and emotionless, "So what if you're fifteen? From the moment your family was destroyed, you were no longer a child. You can't think about relying on anyone; you have to stand up on your own. If you don't seek to avenge your family's blood feud, who will?"

"...But what can I do?" Chen Siheng whispered, choking up. "I don't understand anything. Anyone can easily kill me, how can I seek revenge?"

"Why be modest," Chu Mingyun flicked his hair back coolly, "Wasn't there still some foolishness in you wanting to kill me just now?"

"...Lord Chu." Su Shiyu couldn't help but speak up.

Chu Mingyun turned his head and smiled at Su Shiyu, then glanced at Chen Siheng on the ground, "Enough with this half-dead appearance. Why are you trying to show off? I'll take care of you on behalf of Chen Xuanwen, but beyond that, I won't interfere. Whatever you want to learn or whoever you seek revenge on, it's up to you." He paused, then added, "However, if you try to stab me again with that hot-blooded head of yours, I'll break your legs, understand?"