Chapter 71

In the ninth year of Yonghe, deep in autumn, after several months of investigation, the rebellion in Huainan finally concluded. It was revealed that over thirty individuals had been killed, and nearly a hundred officials of various ranks were arrested. As the news reached Chang'an, it sent shockwaves through the court and the people, causing widespread consternation.

These officials were originally appointed by the court after the execution of Prince Huainan. Now, having committed grave crimes, they couldn't be spared. The King of Xiling tacitly allowed the court to handle the situation without interference. The main culprit, Han Zhongwen, had already died, making it impossible to hold him accountable. Therefore, orders were given to execute dozens of other major offenders on the spot as a deterrent. The remaining individuals were escorted to the capital for further investigation and judgment. Once everything was arranged, the Grand Imperial Censor and the Grand Commandant set out on their journey back to the capital.

Although the caravan was long, their progress was swift, traversing mountains and crossing rivers. In a matter of days, they would reach Chang'an.

Stopping at an inn for the night, after the attendants reported on the journey, Su Shiyu respectfully took his leave and returned to his room. Suddenly, he spoke with a meaningful tone, "It seems that someone has been reporting affairs at this hour for the past few days."

"Really? I haven't noticed." Chu Mingyun sat at the table, casually flipping through a book.

Su Shiyu looked at the empty medicine bowl on the table, "Where's your medicine?"

"Already finished."

"Where did you put it?"

Chu Mingyun turned a page of the book without lifting his head, seemingly oblivious.

Sighing lightly, Su Shiyu took the medicine pot and poured another bowl. Just as he placed it on the table, a gust of wind arose, and the bowl flew off, landing steadily on the windowsill without spilling a drop. Su Shiyu, caught off guard, was pulled onto the table, facing Chu Mingyun with a smile.

"..." Su Shiyu helplessly said, "Is your injury completely healed?"

Chu Mingyun supported himself with one hand near Su Shiyu's head and used the other to pull Su Shiyu's hand to his waist, a teasing smile on his face, "I'm not entirely sure if it's healed. How about you test it?"

Having been around Chu Mingyun for so long, Su Shiyu's understanding had grown day by day. However, understanding didn't necessarily mean coping well. He could only awkwardly turn his head, but Chu Mingyun grabbed his chin, making him face him. Suddenly serious, Chu Mingyun said, "Why do I feel like you've been preoccupied these days, still pondering who instigated Han Zhongwen?"

Su Shiyu's attention was diverted, and he couldn't help but furrow his brow, saying, "I initially thought of Prince Xiling, but upon closer consideration, it doesn't seem likely. However, I can't figure out who else could be suspicious."

Chu Mingyun bent down, kissing his shoulder and neck, "Why do you say that?"

"The layout of this situation in Huainan isn't exceptionally clever. They managed to conceal it from us in the distant capital easily. When facing the Shouchun city army, Han Zhongwen appeared somewhat strained. How could he deceive Prince Xiling? Moreover, judging by their interaction on the night when you and I were welcomed, the Crown Prince and Han Zhongwen seemed familiar. If so, with the Crown Prince overseeing affairs in Huainan, how could he be completely unaware of Han Zhongwen's deceptive actions?"

In this ambiguous posture, Su Shiyu pondered, "But it shouldn't be Prince Xiling either. He has no reason to do so. Huainan is already his fief, and turmoil there would only harm him more. Besides, the Crown Prince didn't appear at the banquet that night. Later, you saw the letter I received from Prince Xiling, where he mentioned the Crown Prince leaving in a huff due to some matter. He seemed unaware of Han Zhongwen's actions..."