Chapter 28

The northern lands were heavy with snow, and as New Year's Eve drew closer day by day, the snow fell more wantonly, blanketing the earth in a flurry. When the wind whipped it up, it flew about in a vast dance. In Chang'an City, lanterns were hung high early, and the white snow set off the fiery red, bringing a festive cheer to the eyes, as if it also dispelled much of the chill from one's body.

As the end of the year approached, the affairs of the court gradually thinned, and officials both great and small looked forward to the holidays, eager to enjoy some peace at home.

The Weiyang Palace was draped in silver, and outside the hall, the wind and snow raged, while inside, warmth permeated the air.

Upon hearing the report, Li Yanzhen suddenly said, "Speaking of which, Su Aiqing and Chu Aiqing seem to have grown quite close recently?"

Chu Mingyun raised an eyebrow, about to respond, but Su Shiyu preempted him. "The two of us have had quite a few official interactions lately, so naturally, we've become more acquainted. Besides, we've been colleagues at court for many years, and our relationship has always been harmonious. It's not sudden."

Chu Mingyun didn't remember being harmonious with Su Shiyu at all.

Li Yanzhen nodded and smiled at Su Shiyu. "As the year ends and the matters of the censorate are settled, will you have some leisure time in the first month of the new year?"

"Yes," Su Shiyu replied, "Although there have been occasional troublemakers who defy the law, overall, the administration is well-organized, thanks to Your Majesty's efforts."

"I didn't bring that up to discuss official matters," Li Yanzhen waved his hand, looking at Su Shiyu. "Since there's no urgent business, after the New Year's court session, don't return to your residence. Stay in the palace and celebrate the New Year with me."

Unnoticed by the others, Chu Mingyun's gaze swept over them, a hint of amusement tugging at his lips. He didn't interrupt.

Su Shiyu visibly hesitated, then knelt down on one knee. "Your favor is appreciated, but I'm afraid I cannot comply."

"Why not?" Li Yanzhen asked.

"It's improper for an outsider like me to join the festivities where Your Majesty and the consorts gather," Su Shiyu explained. "I fear it would violate protocol and invite criticism."

"I am the revered ruler," Li Yanzhen retorted. "Who dares to criticize? Just tell me whether you agree or not."

"My duty as a censor is to oversee officials," Su Shiyu said, still kneeling. "How can I flout the law myself?"

"Su Aiqing," Li Yanzhen's tone turned displeased, "When I was the Crown Prince, you stayed in the palace with me. Why are you so unwilling now? Besides, your parents have passed away, your uncle is embroiled in a case, and you can't even see your relatives. Without a family reunion, what meaning is there in returning home alone?"

Su Shiyu lowered his head, and in the unseen depths of his eyes, a shadow flickered. For a moment, he remained silent.

Finally, Su Shiyu stood up, sighing softly. When he met Li Yanzhen's gaze, there was no ripple. "Back then, I accompanied Your Majesty as a companion in the Eastern Palace. But times have changed."

He paused, his voice lowering. "Furthermore, if Your Majesty remembers, you should also recall why I couldn't return home that New Year's Eve. We were both confined to the Eastern Palace."

Li Yanzhen froze, mouth agape, unable to find words. His gaze shifted to Chu Mingyun, then he turned away, silent.

Amusement danced in Chu Mingyun's eyes as he spoke, "In truth, Your Majesty need not worry about Su Daren. His cousin is currently residing in my mansion. If Su Daren finds himself lonely at home, I'm sure he'll come over. I'll make sure to entertain him well."