Chapter 72

The door to the study was forcefully pushed open. Su Shiyu stood behind the desk, the draft of Huainan's report just completed. He set down his pen, his expression indifferent, as if he had been waiting for this moment, and spoke first, "It was me."

Chu Mingyun stopped in his tracks, standing at a distance neither too near nor too far, looking at him. He chuckled softly, "I haven't even asked anything yet, but you're already answering so straightforwardly."

Su Shiyu remained silent.

Outside, the wind began to pick up. After a moment of silence, Chu Mingyun suddenly spoke without emotion, "Shiyu, don't you have anything you want to say to me?"

Su Shiyu lowered his eyes and sighed lightly, "When paths diverge, alliances cease. You understand this better than I do."

Chu Mingyun's brows suddenly furrowed, but he chuckled, "Fine, fine, paths diverge. But isn't it a bit late for you to tell me now that our paths don't align? What about all the time we spent together before? Do you regret it now, or do you want to admit that it was all a lie?"

He met Su Shiyu's gaze squarely, pausing momentarily. The smile faded from his face, replaced by an expression of disbelief, "Su Shiyu?"

Su Shiyu tried to avert his gaze, but a sudden pain shot through his chin, the scent of sandalwood filling the air. Chu Mingyun was already close, his hand firmly gripping Su Shiyu's chin across the desk. Su Shiyu's hand remained on the table, stabilizing his posture, but he made no attempt to break free as Chu Mingyun exerted pressure, forcing him to meet Chu Mingyun's gaze.

Their eyes locked, Su Shiyu peered deeply into Chu Mingyun's eyes, hearing his cold voice, "A lie?"

"You say you don't care, yet you entangled with me for two or three months, pampering me all the way, staying up all night for a slight injury on me. Was it all just a scheme? If it was just acting, why go through all this trouble? Why not just kill me when I was unaware? Was it because you got too immersed in the role, or did you find it amusing to see me orbiting around you? What did you take me for?"

Su Shiyu's hand on the desk trembled imperceptibly, his fingers slowly retracting.

"But I still don't understand," Chu Mingyun leaned in close, almost close enough to breathe in his scent, his voice lowered with a hint of fierceness, "Su Shiyu, are you really that loyal, willing to give even your body to me?"

Su Shiyu's expression remained stoic, no ripple visible, but his hand concealed beneath his sleeve clenched tightly, fingertips digging into his palm.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Chu Mingyun stared at him.

Su Shiyu closed his eyes, then faintly smiled, "I have nothing to say."

Chu Mingyun continued to gaze at him intently, his eyes deep, silent for a while.

Undoubtedly, Chu Mingyun came with anger, and though Su Shiyu's move didn't strike at the core, it inflicted heavy losses on Chu's faction. But since he saw that forged letter, he couldn't spare a thought for these gains and losses, his heart filled only with concern for Su Shiyu's attitude.

After years of political strife, one cannot expect an immediate reversal overnight. He understood this well, so even when Su Shiyu openly accused the Chu faction in his presence, he remained silent. Despite their previous camaraderie, why resort to backstabbing and scheming now?

As Su Shiyu's words echoed, the simmering anger instantly turned to ice, chilling his heart.

Chu Mingyun wasn't blinded by emotions. He remembered the ideological differences between himself and Su Shiyu. Recent major incidents targeted both factions, forcing them to cooperate. Through this, their relationship eased, allowing for more interaction. Yet, when the dust settles, the struggle in the court remains between the Chu and Su factions.