Chapter 4

What they didn't know was, the moment they both left, Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu simultaneously dropped the burdens of merchant taxes and the management of official roads—issues far removed from their immediate concerns.

The two cunning foxes shared a smile, with Su Shiyu taking the lead: "What's the meaning of this, Lord Chu?"

"What?" Chu Mingyun tilted his head and asked.

"Ayue mentioned on the way here that he came to Kyoto for a job with a friend. He was referring to you, Lord Chu, wasn't he?"

"Yes," Chu Mingyun said leisurely, "If I had known his coming would afford me a private moment with Lord Su, I would have called him over much earlier."

Su Shiyu smiled lightly, though his voice grew a tad heavier: "I'm well aware of his talents in pharmacology, and I'm sure he won't disappoint. However, given his young age, he might struggle to distinguish right from wrong. I hope Lord Chu could offer him some guidance."

"If Lord Su agrees, Du Yue and I will practically be family. Naturally, I'll take good care of him," Chu Mingyun responded with a smile.

"Let's skip these jokes," Su Shiyu looked at him, "I can see you're not intending to let Ayue misunderstand our relationship."

Chu Mingyun met his gaze, frowning, "Are you faulting me for not telling him?" Then, he proposed earnestly, "I was just worried you'd shy away again. So, how about I tell him when Du Yue comes back?"

Su Shiyu lowered his eyes and chuckled softly, his tone still calm, betraying no emotion, "Is Lord Chu avoiding my question now?"

Chu Mingyun let out a light sigh and picked up his teacup, "I swear, every word I speak is heartfelt."

As Su Shiyu drank his tea, he turned his gaze toward the long street lit by lanterns outside the window.

Well, now they had hit a conversational dead end.

It wasn't long before they heard the door open. Su Shiyu then redirected his attention and said to Du Yue, who was following Qin Zhao inside, "It's getting late, Ayue, let's go back."

Qin Zhao instinctively clutched Du Yue's arm, eyeing Su Shiyu warily.

Du Yue gave Qin Zhao a puzzled look before turning to Su Shiyu with a dazed expression, "Cousin, do you mean for me to go back with you?"

"Yes." Su Shiyu exchanged a knowing glance with Qin Zhao, then nonchalantly averted his gaze, continuing, "If you're looking for something to do, I can arrange it just the same. There's no need to trouble Lord Chu."

"I don't mind the trouble at all." Chu Mingyun glanced at Su Shiyu with a smile in his eyes, his voice smooth, "Why is Lord Su so concerned about sparing me any inconvenience?"

Su Shiyu pretended not to hear.

Scratching his head, Du Yue said, "No need, I've already made promises to them; I can't go back on my word." He hastily added, as if afraid Su Shiyu might be displeased, "Although I'd like to hang out with you too... if my mother found out, she'd definitely scold me for bothering you all the time."

After a moment of silence, seeing the genuine dilemma on Du Yue's face, Su Shiyu chuckled softly, "Alright then." He glanced at Chu Mingyun and advised Du Yue, "But if you run into any trouble, feel free to come to me."

"If he faces any trouble, Qin Zhao will surely rush to assist him; it's unlikely Lord Su will be troubled," Chu Mingyun said leisurely.

"..." Su Shiyu turned to look at Chu Mingyun and smiled, "With Lord Chu here, I'm naturally reassured. In that case, I shall take my leave first. Excuse me."