Chapter 50

The soft sunlight melted over the Weiyang Palace, beneath the green tiles and red walls, where the palace pathways were quiet and serene.

Suddenly, Su Shiyu heard someone calling him from behind, the voice drawing nearer, slightly elongated with a tone full of laughter, indicating deep familiarity.

"Lord Su—"

Turning around, he saw Chu Mingyun approaching, walking alongside him, "As expected, coming early does allow me to meet you."

Su Shiyu, puzzled, asked, "Does Lord Chu need me for something?"

"Can't I simply wish to see you more often?" Chu Mingyun retorted.

"On this day each month, we both need to report our duties in the Imperial Library; we are bound to meet sooner or later," Su Shiyu said with a light smile.

"What harm is there in meeting earlier," Chu Mingyun raised his eyebrows slightly, "am I not allowed to look at you a bit more?"

Su Shiyu smiled helplessly at him, but then his voice suddenly lowered, cautioning, "King of Xiling."

Chu Mingyun turned to look and indeed saw a middle-aged man dressed in a King's robe approaching.

Among the numerous titled nobles of the Li royal family, none were as stable and obedient as King Li Chenghua of Xiling. He was amiable and generous, made many friends, and was highly esteemed among the Kings. Not even the former King of Huainan could ignore him. As the lead proponent of the Grace Enactment, he was indeed perfectly suited for the role.

After exchanging greetings, Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu politely said, "We pay our respects to Your Highness."

"Very good, very good." Li Chenghua smiled warmly at the two, "It's rare for me to come to the capital, and I planned to visit you both when I had the chance. This is quite fortuitous." He looked at Chu Mingyun, "Lord Chu, do you remember me? Back on the northwestern frontier, you killed dozens with a broken sword, and with the final thrust, you pierced through the enemy general's throat. The commanding officer wanted to punish you for your brutality, but I spoke on your behalf."

Chu Mingyun thought for a moment, "I don't remember." He paused briefly, then added, "But I vaguely recall that commanding officer was annoyed because I overshadowed his military achievements."

"Exactly, that's the man," Li Chenghua laughed, "He was already of questionable character, and when he met his end suddenly, no one felt it was a loss. You happened to take his place, and I heard the soldiers were quite pleased." He sighed, "Back then, I felt Lord Chu was extraordinary and destined for great things. Looking at it now, my judgment was not wrong."

"Is that so?" Chu Mingyun smiled ambiguously, "Thank you for your high regard, Your Highness."

Li Chenghua responded with laughter, repeatedly agreeing, as his gaze shifted to Su Shiyu. "After so many years, it seems Su has grown even more handsome."

Su Shiyu frowned slightly, paused for a moment before suppressing it, and replied with a light laugh, "The King remains as witty as ever, unchanged from the past."

"Hardly," Li Chenghua sighed deeply, gazing into the blue sky with a hint of melancholy. "In the blink of an eye, General Su has passed, leaving you to uphold the Su family alone. Even Che has reached adulthood."

Su Shiyu smiled, asking, "How is the heir doing?"

"The same as always, hesitant and lacking the resolve to make tough decisions," Li Chenghua shook his head. "If Che could be even a fraction like you, it would ease my worries."