Chapter 27

The leaves of the village tree withered, and the north wind arrived. More than a month had passed before the servant in green came to the hall to announce that Apothecary Du had returned. Upon hearing this, Qin Zhao abruptly rose from his seat, his expression darkened, but he forced himself back down. Chu Mingyun glanced at him, smiling ambiguously, and continued to peel the golden oranges in his hand.

Before long, Du Yue really did shuffle to the doorway. Feeling uneasy, especially when he saw Qin Zhao avoiding his gaze, he became even more anxious and stuttered, "I'm back."
Qin Zhao slightly turned his head away, his face unreadable, and remained silent.
Chu Mingyun, in a rare act of kindness, addressed him, "Yo, you actually remembered to come back? Didn't stay a few more days at your cousin's place?"
"I wanted to," Du Yue replied shamelessly as he sat down, "but it seemed like I was just in the way over there, even Su Bai was faster than me at running errands."

Some people, like Du Yue, you really can't tell if they're simply slow-witted or too sincere.

Chu Mingyun, eating his oranges, admired the increasingly gloomy expression on Qin Zhao's face, which had worsened over the past month.

Du Yue looked at Qin Zhao several times, finally mustering the courage to say, "Qin Zhao, I... I'm back."

Chu Mingyun's words from that day still stung him, and Qin Zhao, who was usually bad at expressing himself, found it even harder to speak now. After a long time, he dryly said, "Hmm." After a pause, he added, "It's good you're back."

Du Yue looked awkward, unsure of what else to say. He turned his head just as Chu Mingyun wiped his hands and got up to leave, his diamond-patterned purple robe standing out. "Hey, I saw my cousin wearing the same robe when I left."

"Hmm," Chu Mingyun adjusted his robe, "Today is the Winter Solstice; the ceremonial dress is the same for civil and military officials."

"Ah?" Du Yue paused, puzzled, "Such formality just for eating dumplings in Chang'an?"

Chu Mingyun paused in his movement, barely concealing his disdain as he glanced at Du Yue, "...It's the grand ceremony to honor the heavens."

Winter Solstice, a ceremony to pray for favorable weather and prosperity, hoping for a picturesque landscape.

In the Weiyang Palace, music and rituals filled the air, banners fluttered high, and officials stood aligned, led by Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu, bowing deeply in reverence.
During the grand rite, dressed in pure black imperial robes, Xia Shang respected the solemnity, and Li Yanzhen ascended the altar to offer jade and silk, chanting hymns that resonated solemnly, while dancers performed below to seek blessings.

Chu Mingyun, with a slight squint in his eyes, viewed the solemn and grand scene, unwittingly recalling Su Hang's words, wondering if this era of peace and prosperity was as fragile as a reflection on water, easily shattered.

After the ceremony, a grand feast ensued. The majestic palace hall filled with the sound of music and dancing, Li Yanzhen signalled for all to enjoy the day, and the atmosphere quickly warmed with mingling officials.

Chu Mingyun, resting his chin in his hand, casually sipped his wine. Sitting alone at the head of the table, his usual fierceness kept many from approaching him with drinks, unlike Su Shiyu, who was constantly surrounded by others, enjoying a quieter evening.

Yet, halfway through the feast, his peace was disturbed. A palace maid bowed respectfully, whispering, "My mistress invites you, sir. Please grant her your presence."
Chu Mingyun raised an eyebrow, "What if I say no?"

"This..." Taken aback by his response, the maid replied, "If you don't go, sir, I won't be able to answer to my mistress. Please, sir, grant her your presence."